What's new

RUMOR: Kiss to tour with Queen+ Paul Rodgers in 2007? (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth....wsitemID=57495

If this has ANY validity to it at all, Gene might want to re-think such insulting comments.

I just don't see either group wanting to "open" for the other so I'm not sure how that would work unless they alternated who opens from night to night.

If this happens (and that's a BIG if, I did not hear Simmons say this with my own ears and have seen no other confirmation elsewhere as of yet) then I'm not terribly excited. Not being a big KISS fan, I'd hate to have to sit through their set if they would open nor would I want to leave right away should KISS close on the off chance that Brian, Roger or Paul would come out later to jam with them.

Thoughts?

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
KISS is still around? Not a huge fan, but some of their stuff is not bad. Man, I thought those guys gave it up a while ago (goes off to check their website)...

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
With the insane amounts of money KISS pulls in from merchandising alone, it's in their best interest to keep the band alive, even if they don't do much original material anymore.

As for Gene's comment... His alpha male posturing is to be expected, and I'd be offended if Freddie were alive, but this is Queen Lite. I don't think they deserve downgrading to "opening act", but they also don't warrant the reverence the original lineup deserves.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

I disagree completely Ricardo.

When you have three men like Paul Rodgers, Brian May and Roger Taylor, who have written huge songs in their careers and are highly respected artists, they deserve equal amounts of reverence that the original Queen did. Just because Freddie and John aren't around, that doesn't diminish who those three guys are and what they have accomplished.

But forget you or I being offended (or not) I would wonder what Brian and Roger would think of what Gene said (supposedly.) That right there would be enough to make me back out. Frankly, if we're talking Europe, Japan, South America, Australia....Queen+ Paul don't need anyone to help them sell tickets. They do just fine on their own.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I think Brian at least would laugh it off. "Sure, whatever you say, Gene". He doesn't seem like someone who gets bothered by other artists' egos. I'm sure their lawyers will take care of them actually getting equal billing.

Paul Rodgers is a great singer,but he's nowhere near the same status as Freddie. This is half of Queen touring with a new singer. It'd be like Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr going on the road and calling themselves The Beatles. Sure, they can call themselves that, but it's not the full experience.

Of course, we could argue that KISS is not really KISS anymore, with Thayer and Singer under Frehley and Criss' makeup, but then KISS has never really been about the music. For a mercenary band, lineup integrity doesn't matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks