What's new

Rumor: Influential HD-DVD studio, Universal, going neutral - now denied, see post #22 (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Bottom line is all of these studios are struggling to get there act together producing disks in formats that are beginning to look like they hit the market before the formats were ready for prime time.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Sorry but that is just spin. While HD DVD has had better weeks in April in relation to their own weeks throughout the rest of the year, they still have been outsold every single week by BD. That is why the since inception percentage (as I was referring to in my previous post) continue to stay and grow in BD's favor.

But the numbers haven't shifted in HD DVD's favor, they only were not as bad as they had been for months, mostly because of new releases finally coming out. But as we have seen from the past 16 weeks is that each week is different based on what gets released on which format that week. The only thing that hasn't changed is that BD outsells HD DVD each week. Only when HD DVD outsells BD one week will the YTD and SI percentages stop increasing in BD's favor.

Just to point out why you can't take HD DVD's brief improvement as anything other than a HD having some good new releases those weeks, all you need to do is look at last weeks (apr 29th) numbers where the ratio went back up to 71:29 (BD:HD). As well as 8 of the top 10 HD Media titles being BD. 1 HD in the top 5 (which was also available on BD).

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Well at least we're getting faster at smashing foreign language rumors. ;)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
One thing is certain, Universal wasted NO time in responding. And it wasn't some puny little press rep. Pres Craig Klornbau spoke out. :)

I still think they will go neutral possible next year but not now.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
Lets face it...if anyone is on the ropes it is Sony and its PS3 debacle. If HD_DVD wins the format war(think 20 million Chinese HD players)doesn't that render the PS3 all but useless? Not only will Sony lose the BluRayMarket, but the PS3s will have even less of an impact.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That was the joke, I suppose. :)

At the moment they are dropping their Blu-ray product all over the US. A much more friendly choice!

Cees

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
I do notice however that while he dies they will be going neutral, nowhere does it say he denied ending the exclusive contract. Just something to keep in mind.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
:laugh:

Yes, I was just quoting the legend Animal House for a bit of humor. Trying to laugh at this things. :) Plus, Animal House is a Universal HD DVD exclusive. :D (except for Pioneering Germans ;))

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks