What's new

Rumor: Beatles Anthology this year (1 Viewer)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
According to a post in rec.music.beatles, someone claiming to know someone who works for EMI has been told that they plan on releasing Anthology this year and that "it will include everything." As to what that means, I don't know. Probably just the Free as a Bird and Real Love videos.

Maybe a Christmas release?

-paul

MikeAW

Second Unit
Here's some news on "A Hard Day's Night" DVD project...
"New AHDN DVD coming Update (8/23/01) From Sean Courtney:
This past weekend at Beatlefest, Martin Lewis asked for people to go to the video room to watch the movie and...SCREAM! They're planning on adding a separate "scream track" to emulate what it was like to watch "A Hard Day's Night" in theaters in 1964 with all the teenage fans screaming at the larger-than-life images of the Fab Four being projected onto a screen.
Update (8/14/01) Martin Lewis has been hired to produce the AHDN DVD, which will be released by Miramax and Buena Vista Films but has no release date yet. He says plans call for multiple audio tracks (a 5.1 surround version, a digital restoration of the original mono, plus commentaries from cast and crew) as well as original trailers and promo clips.
(7/28/01)
Fans have been wondering why the previously-announced new edition of the AHDN DVD has not been released yet and has not even got an official release date scheduled. We've discovered that the reason for the delay is that the producers are apparently immersed in making sure that it is the definitive release. They are considering a selection of sound mixes, plus large amounts of additional audio and visuals. They are determined to far surpass the briefly available MPI version -- both technically and in respect of content. No further details or release date yet - but we will keep you informed as and when we hear more.
This news item brought to you by Abbeyrd's Beatles Page"
Link Removed

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If this news about the Anthology's release
is TRUE, this will be one of the most
exciting releases this year.
I had just about given up all hope that the
Anthology would ever make it to DVD -- especially
with Harrison's death.

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
The only thing missing on the LD was the "Real Love" video. But damn, it's a beautiful set. I doubt I'll be upgrading.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
At a Fab Faux concert last year, Will Lee said that he had seen Paul McCartney at Abbey Road Studios, working on the 5.1 track for Anthology -- so I think that a DVD release has been in the works for a while now.

Certainly at the top of my must buy list when/if it apears.

Ted

RicP

Screenwriter
Ted,
I heard those rumors as well. Plus I think with the passing of George, Paul seems to have become a little more compassionate, a little more accepting of his "Beatledom", and a little more willing to revel in it.
Anthology on DVD would be an absolute dream for me, I may even buy 2 copies, just in case :)
Hell, since they'll have the 5.1 mixes done, why not go ahead and release The Beatles catalog on SACD too! Then I could die a happy man. :D

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, to paraphrase The Kinks, circa 1965: "I'm so tired, so tired, tired of waiting for you-ooo-ooo."

This is one helluva on-again/off-again project. If it comes, I will be pleased; its release now would be more poignant than ever, given our recent loss.

In addition to Anthology and A Hard Day's Night, it is high time for a remastered version of Help!, and, for that matter, where the hell is Let It Be? Even Magical Mystery Tour should be ours.

The Beatles are woefully represented on DVD. Perhaps the best Beatles-related disc available presently is the one with the Maysle Brothers' film, First U.S. Visit.

And, finally, is there even the remotest chance that the best documentary of them all, The Compleat Beatles, will ever see light of day on DVD?

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
"it will include everything."
The BBC broadcast included more footage than the US [no add's, cause I think they timed in at the same broadcast length].

The LD had the BBC footage [don't know, don't care about the VHS].

But here's keeping our collective finger's crossed for "everything"!

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I guess it would be great to get it on DVD, but I'd be much more excited about A Hard Days Night being released. The A/V of AHDN should be impressive.

Both the audio and video of the Anthology is really not up to snuff (I have the LD). Most of it seems to be VHS quality.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
VHS quality? I don't think so. I have the LD's and they look and sound great, considering the varying conditions of the different source materials. You have to remember, the Anthology didn't happen overnight. It was in the works for many years before it was actually completed and released. I'm quite happy with my LDs. Now, I'll have to get the DVDs for the 5.1 mix though. I constantly listen to my YELLOW SUBMARINE dvd music-only track. Bliss. Sheer bliss.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'll be surprised if the DVD Anthology looks notably better than the LDs. The source material is the limiting factor.

Hopefully they include PCM stereo or at least high bitrate DD2.0.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
The BBC showed it? Weird. Over here ITV (yuck) got to show it. However it was in 6 parts rather than the 8 that eventually arrived on video (each of the 8 was as long as the one of the 6 parts on TV). I didn't realise the full-length version had ever been shown.

Tyler T

Stunt Coordinator
Well, this is exciting news, but it is a rumor and it was posted on the Beatles newsgroup. I wouldn't trust anyone their. Bunch of sick perverts that lurk over their...
But, if it does get released I hope it features the Real Love video, the "extra" footage (it's on a website, which I forgot it's name, but their is stuff that wasn't shown on the so-called "uncut" videos, but on the British version), and maybe as an extra feature, the original footage from the first attempt at this, The Long and Winding Road (since I haven't seen the Anthology in a long time, I forgot if some of it is on their). Also, WTF is Let It Be?
And some other related Beatles/DVD news...
I saw a bit of a Beatles magazine and they were explaining the event when Gimme Some Truth was shown with Yoko Ono answering questions and this surprising little blurb came up:
{Andrew} Solt said offstage that the DVD of his "Imagine: John Lennon" film was scrapped because Warner Bros. didn't want to spend any money on doing a 5.1 remastering since it's more intrested in feature films than documentaries.
Typical... :rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks