Rum shelf life??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen L, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

Just wondering. We have a bottle of Myer's Dark Rum that has been opened for a few years.Does rum go bad or does it keep. Obviously we never use rum but I'll be using rum tomorrow and want to buy another bottle but my wife claims that it is fine to use. Thanks.

2. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

I do not think rum ever goes bad, you might taste it and seeif it has an "off" taste but it has too much alcohol in it for any bacteria to live in it and "spoil" it but if the cap was not tight, it will absorb mosture from the air and whatever odors and smells were in that moisture

3. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Heh well they used to keep casks of rum for years on old sailing ships (to keep the crew happy) so I would guess that it is OK [​IMG]

4. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

If the crew was staying happy on rum then it probably wasn't in the casks for years. Months, maybe. [​IMG]

5. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

heheh good point, but they would take anough to last a long voyage. In the Royal Navy of old they had a fairly substantial daily allotment.

6. Rob_J

Rob_J Stunt Coordinator

I'm sure it's fine. In fact, it's probably better than it was when you bought it. A friend of mine had a bottle of Crown Royal from 1969. We drank it a year ago. That was the smoothest rye I have ever had. [​IMG]