What's new

Rules of the Game packaging (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I just received Criterion's edition of Rules of the Game which, unlike their other two-disc releases, is a digipak with a blue-tinted slipcase. It's a nice package, but I'm not sure if I prefer it over good old Amaray simplicity.

BTW, is this the first Criterion release, recent box sets aside, to feature such packaging?

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Tell you what, Steve. Write a review about the film in the S&S List, and if I'm sold on it, I'll buy it sight unseen.

Then I'll tell you if it really comes in a digipack. :)

Jough

Stunt Coordinator
To answer the OP's question, yes, this is the first time Criterion has used a Digipak for a standard (i.e. non-boxed-set) release, although "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" did have a semi-transparent slip cover as well.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I think I prefer Criterion's plain double amaray cases, but it is not really a big deal. On the film side, it was absolutely fantastic, this was the first time I had ever seen it and was blown away. I only own one other Renoir film (Grand Illusion) but I will certainly be looking for his other works after viewing this one.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
I prefer digipaks in general. I know some people dislike them because they are less durable, but with decent care that's not an issue, and they just have a much more collectable, almost retro feel, like an LP.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I like digipaks because they take up less room in my rack, but don't like anything else about them, especially not the hubs (on most). Unlike CD's, DVD's don't leave my house, so durability of the digipak is somewhat less of an issue, but still... Funny this thread came up now, missed it before, was just wondering where the hell MY RotG and Ikiru were, have been waiting a loooong time...but then this is Canada, and most Criterions drag a bit... BTW, is Ikiru in a digipak, and if not, I wonder why they decided it for RotG?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales

I've seen two other Renoirs (than ROTG and GI): The Southerner (available in R1 on a cheapie DVD) and The River. Both are excellent.

Jough

Stunt Coordinator
I think they wanted to do something special for this release. It's nice, but I hope it's not a trend. I much prefer the double Amaray (or heck, even a slim double, like the Star Wars discs came in).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks