Rule of thumb for display elevation?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin C Brown, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Say if my eye balls are 35 inches off the ground, I have a direct view TV set 8 feet away. How high off the ground should the set be?

2. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

It was explained to me yesterday, by a seemingly very knowledgeable salesman at Tweeter, that your eyes should be approximately on the same plane as the center of the screen. So, the set should be high enough off the floor so that the center of the screen is, in your case, about 35 inches high.

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    The obvious answer, to me, is as JustinR stated: the TV center should be at eye level.
    However, if films are TV shows are composed so that the important images are mostly at the top, then the TV placement should be skewed downward, to get the top closer to the center of looking.
    I think that's how my TV is (because of the stand height) so I think I'll stick with that explanation [​IMG]

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Thanks guys. When I was imagining the picture in my head, that kind of made sense too. Cool! [​IMG]