Rugs on the wall??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Kline, Jan 19, 2002.

1. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

So, supposedly you can put rugs on you wall to help with the sound in your room.. but is it just any kind of rug or is there some special type you need.. or some kind of acousitic stuff? I've seen some where the rugs only go half way up the wall and the rest looks like normal plaster/drywall.. so whats the difference between going half way and covering the whole thing?
    My HT area is small, around 12x17 I think.. and it sounds fine to me. If I were to add rugs up the walls when I do my big remodel, would it really make any noticable difference? Or would it really just be for looks?
    And also what about soundproofing? My HT is right under all of the bedrooms, it'd be nice if I could watch stuff late at night without waking everyone up [​IMG]

2. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

My father and I had this same discussion. He suggested and I tried this: I made up three 4'x4' squares of 1/2 inch plywood. (you may be able to by these to size at Home Depot)I glued some short pile carpeting the landlord gave me to them. I hung two of the sheets on the wall near my front two speakers and one on my back wall in the middle. It definitly cut down on the noise in the room (12'x15') almost too much. I ended up taking them down and I am going to cut them down to 3'X3' squares. with a room as small as yours covering half or the whole wall may be overkill. Walss that absorb too much sound is just as bad as walls that are too reflective.

As a side note. I hung them on the wall so I could take them down when guests came over. I live in an apartment so my HT room is also my living room.