What's new

Rubber Feet? (1 Viewer)

Hey. I have a sony receiver, but unfortunately no unit rack to place my dvd player on. I currently have my dvd player laying directly on top of my receiver, which blocks most of the heat from coming out of the top of the receiver, where the vents are. I have decided to buy some rubber feet to place under my dvd player, which will allow the hot air to release out of the receiver. I have looked throughout the web, and can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I was just wondering if anybody knows where I can pick some 1/2 inch to 1 inch rubber feet online? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Simon Ngan

Stunt Coordinator
If you can find an alternate place to put the DVD player, do it rather than getting the feet to give little room for the receiver to breath.

I found out last week that my DVD player was getting way to hot, I had it placed on top of the Aragon amplifier I use. The amp doesn't get too warm but heat rises so the DVD player was getting all the warm air. Luckily, I was able to find another spot for the DVD player and I left the top opened for the amp.

If you must put the DVD player on top of the receiver, consider getting a computer case fan to suck the warm air out the receiver. Depending on the size of your DVD player, usually they're not as deep as the receiver. If you're lucky enough, there should be some opening toward the top cover of the receiver where you can put a fan on top of it and suck air out.

Usually, I'd recommend blowing air into the receiver (use a filter for the fan to reduce dust into the case), but in this case, it doesn't work as it'd then transfer the hot air into the DVD player.

For powering the fan, use an universal wallwart so you can adjust the fan speed by sliding the voltage level. I have a 120mm case fan (Vantac Stealth) for my processor and I'm running it at 7.5V which I can't hear when it's on.

If you must get the rubber feet, check out Home Depot as I've seen some big half-dome rubber feet around here in Canada. They're roughly half-an-inch high.

Hope it helps,

Simon

Tom Grooms

Second Unit
Go to Wal-Mart or Home Depot and get some door stops. Not the wedge looking things but the ones you put on the wall to stop the handles from destroying your wallboard. They are over 1" thick and should help in a pinch and reduce vibrations as well.

$0.02

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If you must put the DVD player on top of the receiver, consider getting a computer case fan to suck the warm air out the receiver.
Not the best idea. If the receiver has vents spanning most of its top cover, a fan positioned like this will create an internal “funnel,” which will result in uneven heat dispersion.

I’d recommend placing the DVD player somewhere else, Ryan. Most receivers need at least 3-4 inches clearance to properly ventilate via convection. Not to mention, I’ve seen components like DVD players and VCR’s prematurely fail when subjected long-term to the heat coming off a receiver.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks