What's new

RSX 1055 or .......... (1 Viewer)

Arron H

Second Unit
I recently upgraded to B&W 805s/HTM2 and I starting to look at upgrading other components as well. I currently have a Yamaha RXV-1200 but am wondering if going to the Rotel RSX 1055 would be simply a lateral move or a true upgrade. If I went with the 1055, I would eventually want to get a RMB 1075 or 1095 and use the 1055 as a processor only. Here are some questions:
1. Is the move from my Yamaha to the 1055 a lateral?
2. How would the Yamaha work as a processor for the 1075 or 1095? This would seemingly be a less expensive upgrade path as I would not have to buy two new components by using the Yammy as a processor.
3. Should I be considering the 1066 as a processor replacement for the Yammy rather than the 1055? I have read some threads on this forum indicating that the 1055 & 1066 are preety comparable as far as processing is concerned.
3. What would you do if you were in my shoes
;)

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
I am not knocking the Yamaha, I have a healthy respect for them, but the Rotel is an upgrade over that particular Yamaha.

Now, that doesn't mean you shouldn't use the Yamaha as a pre/pro. I believe the Rotel has some features the Yamaha has, but the Yammy has preouts so that is a good sign for start.

I just recently got the RSX-1055, and to be honest, I am not in love with it. Its pretty easy to use, has a ton of great features, but it doesn't sound as good as my old receiver (imo). Maybe because its my receiver is warm and my speakers are warm (B&W DM605S2's), or maybe I am spoiled because for music, my last receiver was awesome. And I use my receiver at about 80% music/20% HT. But I will say the extra features and processing codes are nice. I think its not the pre part that makes the difference between this and my old reciever, but the amp sections. My carver had a much better amp section, imo.

If I were you, I would find a very good rotel dealer near you and say, im looking to either buy a 1075/1095 amp or the rsx 1055. Is it possible for me to either bring in my yamaha and test it with the amp and compare versus the rsx1055 or bring them home for in house test. I can't imagine that the pick up from the 1055/1075 (or 1095) combo is that much better than the 1200/1075 (or 1095) combo, but thats my opinion.

Also, if you do get the rsx 1055, I wouldnt go for the 1075 amp, i would go for the 1095. Makes more sense.

Good luck.

Rich

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I make no apologies for being a outspoken Rotel fan:) That said all I can do is recomned you try the Rotel in your system and see if you like it. There will be a big difference in sound between the two with the Yammie being much more forward sounding vs the more natural souding Rotel...I can't say which you'll perfer though so give it a try and let your ears decided...I will say though if you are 100 percent sure you want to upgrade don't listen to the Rotel since you'll likely buy it:D

Arron H

Second Unit
Rich & Andrew, thanks for your replies & advice. I am afraid to go in and listen at this point - last time I did that, I ended up buying the 805s/HTM2 ;) I know if I go in and listen to the Rotel gear, I will buy it because it works so well with B&W.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
To be honest, I don't think it sounds that great with my B&W's. could be my room, could be my taste, but to me its a tad muddy.

having said that, if you really think it would sound that much better, you should try it out.

I still think that you should try and amp with your yammy then try the rsx versus that, then try the rsx with an amp...

Rich

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
As I said these two machines are at opposite ends of the bright spectrum so an in home audition will be required to properly determine if it meets your needs. Corporatly Rotel and B&W are tied fairly tightly...at least their support staff (Equity Audio) supports both brands.

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
Get the biggest Rotel amp you can afford{the 1095 preferrably}and hook it up to the Yamaha.You can never go wrong with a good outboard amp.Yamaha has really,really good processing.A few years(yeah right!!) down the road you can buy a seperate processor.I know this because I had a Yamaha RXV-3000 hooked up to my 1095 and never looked back.Have fun.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I would go the amp route if I had to choose between one or the other. Amps will last a long time but you will want to upgrade a receiver in a few years so I would go for the best bang for the buck.

Arron H

Second Unit
Thanks Robert and Jed. I definately like the idea of saving some money for awhile on the processor and going with a separate amp. It may be awhile before I can afford the amp let alone a new processor as well. I liked my Yamaha 1200/B&W 600 series combo a lot and so, I am hoping that the Yamaha 1200/805 combo will be a good match at least until I have paid for the 805s and can afford to look at a new amp. Once again, thanks for everyone's input.

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Check out the Rotel RB-985 mkII. I just got one and love it. Its rated at 110x5. Sounds great with my 1055. It is the perfect match for my Klipsch speakers.

The amp can be had for under $500 and is worth every penny.

Earle

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I'm with Robert McClanahan. Same advice.

I was using a Yamaha RX-V3200 alone... then I got the RMB-1095.. Wow! Just keep the Yammie for your pre-amp and buy a Rotel amp. You won't believe the difference. This beast is impossible to clip and never distort. A real bargain.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Is it true that the 1055 has the same pre-amp section as the RSP 1066? Would it be better to try the 1055 as a pre-amp since it costs less than the 1066. I know the amps are re-assignable(thinking 6.1/7.1) and i already have 5 channels of outboard amplification. How is it for HT? Comparable to the 1066? Better than the Pioneer Elite 45tx i am auditioning right now? Any opinions would be great.

Dalton

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Dalton there are apparently some differences between the two units though both use the same processors and firmwares etc and to my ears I couldn't hear a difference between them when used as a pre amp.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Thanks Andrew. I will have to go to my dealer and check into them furthur. How is the HT processing? That is my main concern. Thanks.

Dalton

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Thanks guys. I am currently using a Pioneer Elite VSX 45tx. My dealer also carries Rotel. To be honest I really like the Pioneer and would keep it but I am getting an annoying "buzzing" noise when i use the multi channel inputs for DVD-A. I have tried just about everything to get rid of it. The problem goes away immediatly when i disconnect the analog cbles. My friend has the same receiver and the problem is happening with his also. We both have amps hooked up to the receiver but the noise still occurs when we unhook them and use the receivers amps. I even tried a different DVD-A player and the same thing happened. I have pretty much narrowed it down to the 45's multi channel inputs. I am ready to give the Rotel a try but i wanted to make sure it's HT processing was good. Is the 1055 easy to calibrate? Does it have an onscreen display? The Auto MCACC on the Pioneer works great for setup. Anyways, I am going to my dealer Friday to see if i can demo the Rotel. If it sounds as good as the 45 in the HT dept. and has no "buzzing" i will be happy.

Dalton

Levesque

Supporting Actor
If the 1055 got the same HT processing then the RSP-1066, I can tell you that you will be more then happy with it. For me, listening to DVD is a completely new experience. The RSP-1066 is extracting all those little details I didn't even know were there!!

I was having the same problem with a Yamaha receiver (buzzing sound) and it's gone since I switch to the Rotel. I think it was a matter of internal grounding or something. Now, quiet part are quiet, like they are suppose to be...

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
the Rotel does have an OSD, and unfortunately, many functions can only be calibrated using the OSD.

it is fairly flexible.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks