What's new

RSX-1055 or Elite VSX-45 (1 Viewer)

Robert Edwards

Auditioning
I'm trying to decide between these two receivers or is there something else I should look into?

I've listened to the Rotel and liked it but have not had a chance to listen to the Pioneer. Should be available in September.

I want to get the best sound I can(both music and movies). I can care less about features. I'm thinking that less features means more attention the the sound.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I have a 1055 in for a review but I haven't had chance to play with it much yet. I will say though that its based heavily on the 1066 pre amp which I own so I'd venture to guess that unless the rotel amps aren't up to snuff which is highly doubtfull the 1055 will be a winner.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If you're not interested in features, then you should be comparing the Rotel to the Pioneer 43TX, because the only difference in the 43TX and the 45TX is the 45TX includes Automatic Calibration. If you have a SPL meter, then you have no need for this feature, and the $$$ difference is around $200.

I'm right now looking at the 43TX to replace an 811S, and hopefully a year or so after i get the 43TX i will add some amps and continue using the 43TX as a PRE/PRO until another major sound format is released.

Josh_Z

Agent
Actually the VSX-45 will have a better remote, 12v triggers, and much more capable for MR/MS.

The automatic MCACC is well worth the few more dollars. I heard it on the VSX-49 and it was impressive toggling between the three options. It is much more advanced and accurate than what you can do with a SPL meter.

Robert Edwards

Auditioning
Thanks for the info. With all of the negative info on the Rotel on this site I'm probably going to look at the Pioneer Elite 43 or maybe the Denon 3802.

Another factor in the change in Receivers I'm looking at is price related too. My budget is now $1000 or less so that rules out Rotel 1055 anyway.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Negative Rotel feedback? I don't think I've read one bad Rotel post on here. If you listened and like the Rotel then let that be your guide. Perhaps you could demo the two side by side before you buy, that way you will know for sure which one you like better. I'm also looking closely at the 45TX. It looks like a real winner.

David Judah

Screenwriter
We are supposed to be getting some 45TXs in pretty soon and I think I'm going to go ahead and try one out as a pre/pro.

I'll let you guys know how it performs in room, because on paper it does look impressive.

DJ

Bobbi D

Agent
You might try looking at the Arcam. I think that fits with your new budget and presents a good choice for music.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
You can find the 4TX online as low as $750 and the 45TX as low as $900, but that's ordering online, which might cause some warranty issues. If you find it quoted online, and then phone your order in (and make sure they're a authorized pioneer elite dealer) warranty issues shouldn't come up.

Otherwise, retail on the 43TX is $1000 and the 45TX is $1200 (at HiFi Buys). That's about $200 less than Pioneers list price, but i've seen that Pioneers list prices are always pretty high ($575 for the 810S, $475 for the 811S).

Robert Edwards

Auditioning
Cool. More feedback,

Allen, the negative info was in reference to the Bass Management issues for the 1065. That thread is huge. The 1065 and 1055 should be very similar. Besides the price for the 1055 is out of my range now anyway.

I'll go look at Arcam and Marantz. Thanks.

Look forward to your review of the 45TX David. When will you get it? Was told it wouldn't be out till late Sept.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I should have it by tomorrow if everything goes as planned. As of today they show "in transit."

This weekend I'll be busy, but I'll probably get to hook it up and play with it by Tuesday next week.

DJ

Steve & Karen

Stunt Coordinator
One potential advantage of the Rotel (over Marantz, Denon, Arcam, Pioneer, etc.) is having HDCD decoding in the receiver. Only other AV-Receivers

David Harris

Stunt Coordinator
I am having good luck with my 45tx thus far, i have only had it 3 days but so far so good, i am having some trouble with the remote changing volume levels, some time it just keeps changing even after i release the buttons, but i didnt buy it for the remote, I have been using the auto mccac and it definately sets up better than i can...i measures the ditances the 45 came up with and are very accurate. I also double checked it with decibel meter and it is within .5db of how i set it up... I also have a sony sacd player and i am using the 5.1 channel outs and the digital coaxial out, I did some a/b swiching on dts and dd, the receivers dac's won hands down as ompare to the 5.1 of the sony...i was suprised, now I am dissapointed that the receiver cant decode sacd and dvda...I guess i will have to purchase the poineer elite dv45a....god luck with your purchase, i havent used any rotel, but according to this forum i dont think you can go wrong with either..73

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
I paid $1000 for my 45 TX at Soundwaves in Cincinnati and I recommend it wholeheartedly. Its a great machine with great sound. The MCACC is definitely worth the money. It also has a bass limiter for the sub that is so helpful in reducing probelms with the dynamic range of different CD's and DVD's that I wouldn't do without that option again on any receiver. I think the remote is great and I have had no problem with it.

IMHO, I think its hard to beat the MCACC for dealing with room accoustics. I can't better on it manually. I think that gives this unit a feature that can't be ignored when comparing with others. But the Marantz, Denon 3803, HK 525, and Onkyo 900 can't be ignored. It depends on which features you value most.

I think all of them are good.

Good Luck.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks