RSP-1066 vs Cyrus AV8

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JonathanCad, Sep 10, 2002.

1. JonathanCad

JonathanCad Auditioning

Has anyone compared the 1066 to the AV8?

I know the 1066 will offer "more" in terms of surround sound, but straight stereo is my primary concern.

So I guess I'd like to know which is the better stereo pre-amp?

Thanks guys.

JC.

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Can you educate me on the AV8? I've never heard of it. A link perhaps?

3. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Wow...it's very little. Is that form factor common in Europe? Not the most attractive thing in the world either. They have a good reputation in GB?

5. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Cyrus style all their gear in that brick manner. It's a unique look.

Why not use a separate stereo preamp instead? Then you could just use a cheapish receiver with preouts plus a 2 channel power amp (or use an integrated amp instead of the sterea preamp/amp combo). This is a much more cost effective solution.

6. JonathanCad

JonathanCad Auditioning

Thanks for the replies.

First off, the Cyrus stuff looks great! A friend has the aca7.5 preamp, CD7, PSX-R power supplies for both of those, and a pair of apa7.5 mono blocks. Six of those boxes on the "Hark" rack looks incredible; and sounds great.

Cyrus are pretty well respected in the UK - but I'm not supprised if half you guys haven't heard of this product; I haven't heard of half the stuff you talk about either!

Perhaps it would help if I explain my current set up:
    2 Rotel RB971MkII power amps (bridged).
    Rotel RA971MkII integrated - currently being repaired, I have a Talk Electronics Hurricaine 3 pre-amp on loan.
    Rotel RCD 952 CD Player.
    Yamaha DSP E800 processor.

So, I guess I have a stereo system, with surround as an add-on. I'm currently auditioning a Cyrus CD7 CD player, which I like, a lot. So, I'm definately going to replace the rotel CD player, but then I have a feeling I'd be better off with a decent pre-amp feeding the powers, rather than the 971 integrated. So then I think, wouldn't it be nice if I could integrate the pre-amp with the AV side of things (the Yamaha can be used just as three channel power amp, you see). I can later replace the rotel power amps with something better, and let one drive the rears in stereo, and one drive the centres (either stereo, or bridged if I stick with 5.1) thus passing down the Yamaha to my little bro.

Problem is, I don't want to sacrifice on Stereo. I'm pretty sure that the AV8 is going to be the better stereo pre; however, it will never let me upgrade to 6.1 decoding, and worse still, it doesn't have a six channel input for multichannel music.

But then, I don't have a sixth speaker, don't really have room for one, and don't have too many DVDs with the necessary encoding, nor do I have a multichannel SACD or DVD-A player. So what do I do? Buy the product that will probably get the most out of my CDs, or the one that will allow me to upgrade more in the future, and give better performance with movies?

By the way, is the RSP-1066 even sold in the uk? Anyone now the srp? I can't find a price for it in sterling.

Cheers.

JC.

7. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Then just use a half decent receiver (eg Sony STR-DB1080) as a prepro and get a good stereo preamp - no sacrifice required.