RSP 1066 upgrade success??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Harl, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Harl

Harl Auditioning

I just got the opportunity to do the 1.42 upgrade to my 1066. I am not sure what version I had prior but I think it was 1.37. I am pretty sure I did everything correctly, everything followed step by step w. the instructions from Rotel.

How do I know if it actually worked? Is there anything different I should notice, that is unique to 1.42?

The only thing that I had been experiencing that I would consider a "problem" is when scrolling through Dishnetwork movie channels, I normally have DPLII as the default mode in SAT (VID 1) and I occasionally hit a channel broadcast in Dolby Digital and my 1066 automatically switches to DD or DDEX but when you go to the next channel up and it is NOT being sent in Dolby Digital the 1066 does NOT go back to DPLII, instead it goes to 2 chan. stereo! In order to go back to DPLII you need to get the remote, open the cover and hit the surr+ button!!

I spoke to Mike at Rotel and he sent me the software upgrade and I thought he said this upgrade should fix this issue. I have done the upgrade, but I still have this same "problem".

I have not noticed anyone else writing about this same issue. Is anyone else having this problem?? Should It have been fixred w. the upgrade? if so, maybe i did something wrong??

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Harl

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Harl I thought that was one of the things they fixed with 1.42. The way HyperTerminal works is that it erases the old firmware before you apply the new one so if it didn't work you wouldn't be able to turn on the Rotel..ie if everything seems normal then the upgrade worked. I know for a fact 1.43 is going to be made available any day now but I can't say if it will address your problem or not.

3. John_W_Jr

John_W_Jr Stunt Coordinator

Not sure if this was mentioned, or answered before, but is there a way of finding out what version of software is on the 1066. I'm planning on picking one up tomorrow and I'd like to check it first.
    Thanks!

4. Harl

Harl Auditioning

My unit never listed the version #. I have spoken w. Rotel a couple of times and have mentioned finding out what version is on my 1066 and I was told that it must be recent, ie: 1.37 or so.
    On the earlier ones the version# is listed on screen. In the newer units (not sure exactly what version)you will not see it listed.
    They told me that there was no real advantage to me upgrading at this time unless I was having a problem w. the unit. The upgrades were very minor changes from what I already had.
    Ultimately I upgraded to 1.42 but do not notice anything different.

5. Harl

Harl Auditioning

JW-
    Sorry for not getting to the point of your question.
    To the best of my knowledge there is no way to tell what version of software is on the unit you will be getting if it does not show on screen. If it does'nt, it must be relatively new.

In reality though, it should'nt really matter what is on it because it is so easy to do the update you could just contact Rotel, they e-mail you the update and it installs easily in not much time at all.

I guess you could also call Rotel's tech guys and ask them if they know what serial # the units start at with the newer software from the factory, maybe you could tell that way without having to get to the on screen menu. They are super helpful any time I have called them.

good luck, and I know you will love the unit when you get it.

Harl

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Any firmware after 1.37 hides the firmware number from the display so there's no easy way to know what firmware version you are running if you don't see it when you first turn it on.

7. John_W_Jr

Thanks Harl,
    I appreciate the info! From what I've read, the install of the updates doesn't seem too difficult--should be fun. [​IMG]

8. Mel Vail

Mel Vail Auditioning

Harl,
    I have dishnetwork as well and I'm experiencing the same problem. I have also upgraded to ver 1.42. However, my problem is intermittent, I cannot recreate it reliably.[​IMG]

9. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

10. John_W_Jr

Interesting point, Steve. I just picked up a silver 1066, and once powered up I saw no version number appear on the display.
    Funny though, my dealer was in the middle of down loading an upgrade to a dvd player as I was walking into his store today. Laptops and cables all of over the place! [​IMG]

11. Harl

Harl Auditioning

Mel,
    I am glad to know I am not the only one with the Dolby Digital/2 ch stereo problem w. Dishnetwork. You say the problem is intermittent. Thats interesting because EVERY time i pass a channel being sent in DD it kicks into DD but then when you go up to the next channel that is regular it defaults back to 2 ch.

I wonder why yours works properly at least some of the time?? PLEASE keep me informed about anything you find out about this quirk, it really is the only thing that drives me nuts with my 1066.

At least if you could just hit the > key on the remote to get back it would be crappy, but less of a pain than to have to open the cover and hit the surr+ button underneath.

Keep me posted if you don't mind.

Thanks,
    Harl

12. Howie

Howie Auditioning

Harl - I have a 1066 I just got a week ago, and I have the same problem with DirecTV that you are having with DishNet. When surfing past a Dolby Digital source channel, the mode reverts to 2 channel rather than my preferred PLII. Minor annoyance, but I wish they'd fix it anyway. BTW, do you know if Rotel is still giving away the software update cable? It appears that some people have obtained it for free. I E-mailed support at Rotel several days ago, but they haven't even bothered to reply.

Howie

13. Harl

Harl Auditioning

Howie:
    If you e-mail me a message I can tell you how I got my cable

Harl

14. Vinny

Vinny Auditioning

I am in the market for a 1066. Have been reading reviews about the 1066 and thought I would post the question to you guys, What do you think about the 1066? Buy or not a buy. I read something about the component inputs not having full bandwidth for high def. is this true? Thanks, any comments or direction would be great.....

Thanks much

Vinny