RS SPL Meter

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eddie Ras, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Eddie Ras

Eddie Ras Stunt Coordinator

i just bought the SPL at radio shack-- cat 33-2050 and it's on sale for 29.99 (reg 39.99). i'm not sure if they run the same ads nationwide, but i thought i'd let you all know!

now i have to figure out how to use it!

any tips??

i've spent the last hour reviewing these boards. did i do this correctly?

I set the master volume so my left front reads 75db on the meter, then i went around (via the receiver) and adjusted the balance on the other speakers so that i got the same 75db level. i'm using a denon 2802 and it's tones- i know, i know, i should get the calibration disc- but that's what i have for now!

is that all there is to it?

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Eddie,

That's all there is to it.

-Vince

3. Eddie Ras

thanks vince== you must be the SPL meter master- as i've seen your name over every post i read earlier!

i'm new into all this and i'm trying to learn! i appreciate yours and everyone else's help!

know anything about universal remotes??? the rca rcu810 to be exact! the denon remote stinks!

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

5. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Hi Eddie, I have that remote. It works fantastic for me but I have a really uncomplicated system so it basically put to rest 5 factory remotes.
    Here's the pros and cons if you want:
    Cons
    =====
    The LCD display is is only on for the duration of key presses. You cannot set the display time nor can you adjust the backlight time.
    Memory is apprently limited(though it hasn't been an issue for me because as I said my system is uncomplicated).
    No custom programming in the LCD (what you see is what you get)
    Pros
    ====
    Hard buttons.
    A very hardy remote. The touch screen remotes wouldn't last 3 seconds with my 3 and 1 year old.
    Inexpensive when compared to like remotes.
    Cool blue backlighting on ALL keys and LCD.
    Easy to hold.
    Suuports a large number of manufacturers and will learn just about any function. You can reprogram almost any button under each device so that depending on the device selected the button will do different things.
    Very decent IR. Stronger than most factory remotes.
    It can be modified to plug-in to your PC like the Radio Shack remote (Darn if I can remember the link).
    I'd give it a whirl and see if it works for you. You can find this at just about any Circuit City or Best Buy or FutureShop (for us Canucks).
    One caveat, it's not the most popular remote on the forum and usually someone will pipe in and say buy a Pronto so let me say it first...buy a Pronto...if you have more sophisticated plans. The investment of a Pronto may future proof you for later. If you plan to control things like CD Mega changers...home-automated lighting etc... then the Pronto is the way to go. You can build really complicated macros that outwardly look incredibly easy to use. Wives really like this. You have to be a little PC savvy but you can build custom screens that make sense for your system. Plus there's huge support in CCF files at www.remotecentral.com ,plus there's lots of support on this forum because of the high number of people who own this remote. So it really depends on your needs and plans. I'd say test drive each remote of interest and make your own list of pros and cons.
    Have fun!

6. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Can someone post a link to the corrections of the radio shack spl meter? I know it is not 100% accurate and there is a chart to correct the readings. Thanks for any help guys.

Dalton

7. Eddie Ras

hey gordon--

i started a new thread on this remote because i have a few questions-- let's pick it up over there if you don't mind joining in and giving more tips!

ps- i was in winnipeg- ever so briefly. back in 89. arrived (via car) just in time for dinner, then went to a jets game- then left early 3rd period to drive all nite to edmonton for another game! that was my "spring" break!!!

8. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

9. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Vince,
    Thanks for the heads up. That cleared a few things up for me. [​IMG]
    Thanks Again,
    Dalton