RS SPL meter and avia(sp) calibration disk - WHY?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Alex-F-V, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Alex-F-V

Alex-F-V Stunt Coordinator

I hear you guys alway talking about this and I'm thinking to myself what is the big deal with this stuff?
    I set my speakers and sub where is was convinient, (still trying to follow the typical set up) and it sounds awesome.
    Even across the greatroom where its set up on the living room end, across the dining space in the great room and all the way in the kitchen (a good 25-30ft away from the "sweet spot") it sounds great. Clear dialogue and great bass. All I have is a take 5.2 set up and the matching sub. By far not a relatively "great" system.

So what does the SPL meter and avia(sp) calibration disk actually do? Could I benefit from them if my system already sounds great?

Edit: I put this in this forum because I figured calibrating your speakers has to do with speakers.

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

One reason to calibrate your speakers using an SPL meter, is to get the same level of sound from each speaker—at least from the prime listening area’s perspective.

Since it is almost impossible to do this by ear (even for very experienced listeners) the use of an SPL meter is necessary to achieve the proper balance. As you may know from reading other threads, it is even more difficult to get the right balance from your sub.

This is somewhat achievable using most receiver’s ‘test tones’. The use of a disk like AVIA, allows you to understand how your room is performing sonically. It is helpful in making adjustments to your system and in speaker placement that will allow your system to come closer to optimal performance.

While you may not really care about having flat response across the spectrum, feeling that getting things so they sound OK is good enough, a disk and meter can be extremely helpful in placing a subwoofer in the best location in a room. Things like this are not subtle—the effects can be dramatic. Of course if you are not faced with this kind of problem, purchasing a disk to help calibrate your system may be overkill.

I think that an SPL meter is essential for setting up a 5.1 system. AVIA or VE will help get the best sound in your environment.

3. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

When I first started in this hobby I felt the same way. I had a low end receiver and speakers and thought wow, this sounds amaizing. Not long after that I fell into the upgrade cycle and each time I brought something home I went WOW that is even better... amazing.

I thought I had everything sounding amazing, couldn't be better when I found out about Avia. I picked up a copy and a rat shck spl and calibrated. The difference was breath taking. I had no idea what I had been missing. The clarity and realism blew me away. In short you just have no idea what you are missing until you do it.

I had the same slap in the face when I had my RPTV calibrated by a pro. I thought I had perfection when I hadn't even scratched the surface.

4. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter