What's new

RS SPL Correction scale??? I can't find it.. (1 Viewer)

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Kevin, your right. VE is the same way-I thought you still had to make the adjustment, though. Anybody know for sure?

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't seem right to me that a reference tool (VE, AVIA) would deliberately boost a test tone.
My .02 schillings:)

Ted Ross

Second Unit
OK, now Im confused. I just bought the Radio Shack SPL meter & I have VE for my test tones. I have read several posts here that say that you need to make corrections with the Rat Shack SPL meter because it is not accurate(it varies how much it is off by what frequency is being played)-so far am I correct? Now, with VE, what corrections do I need to make with my readings-or dont I have to make any at all. Sorry about this, but I am relative newby to some of this stuff.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
In a nutshell, if you look at the 2nd post on this thread, you see specific freq's and how much that's off.
For pink noise, it's a range of freq's coming at you all at once, so cheat up 1 to 3 db's and you are in the ballpark. We (us) tend to run our subs 2-6 db's over anyway.
- CM:emoji_thumbsup:

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I thought I specifically remembered Guy saying that Avia *is* set up with the RS Meter in mind. :b

Remember his long "how to" post on Avia and subs?

I do know this: if I compare Avia *without* the offsets, and the Autosounds 2000 and Stryke CD test discs *with* the offsets, comes pretty close to being the same.

Unless maybe with the low freq "broadband" test signals of Avia, it's close enough one way or the other that you don't need them: 40 Hz: +2.5 dB, 60 Hz: +1.5 dB, ...

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
I'm using THX Optimode for calibration (Fight Club DVD). Is there any way of telling what Hz the test signal is so I can make the proper dB adjustment with my Radio Shack SPL meter?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The following is taken from this thread
Pete Mazz asks:
No. The only compensation is for the discrete LFE in the 6 channel pan. That is 10 dB down electrically.
It would have been undesirable to alter the tones to specfically compensate for a single model of SPL meter. It would have made a mess for any other equipment because that poor sould would have to undo the compensation built into a signal for the RS meter and then applying the correction for the meter being used. Far better to keep it standard and only expose the users to a single layer of compensations.
The signals are kept at electrical equal energy and you should compensate for your particular SPL meter. That means on the RS meter making the SPL reading equal 85 dB to match the 85 dB on the main tests yields a sub which is actually a few dB louder than neutral. Since so many of us HT fans like a lot of LF effects and don't listen at full reference volume, this yields an often more pleasing effect than a fully flat system.
In the last paragraph he touches on what I mentioned above, that the RS meter reads a little low on the LF test tones, so an 85db reading will actually be a few dB high in reality. Not always a bad thing, as he says.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy -

THX optimode sounds are not for calibration, it says so on the screen somewhere.

It's only to make sure the signal's going where it should.

- CM

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I'm remembering that Avia is setup to compensate for the "C weighting" mode that the RS and other meters use?

This, I think (!) I remember from the screens that come up when you use Avia itself.

We all have seen the "calibration" numbers for the Radio Shack meter. I wonder how different those numbers are from the "C weighting" curve itself...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks