RS-232C Port on a receiver ????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kris Niesen, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Kris Niesen

Kris Niesen Auditioning

Hello

Can anybody explain the use of the RS-2323C Port on some receivers? Like on the DENON 3803.

I know it's to connect with the serial port of a PC.
    But what can you do with your receiver if you connet it to the PC?

Thanks

KRIS
    Belgium
    [email protected]

2. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

You could be able to download updates of the internet (not all receivers do this) and you can connect your receiver to a Creston or AMX system through this port. Creston and AMX is like a way to control your receiver externally I hardly know anything about CReston or AMX though.

Daniel Smith

3. Belgarath

Belgarath Agent

I have a RS-232C port on my Sony STR-VA555ES too.
    I used it about a month ago to upgrade the firmware from version 1.4 to 1.76 using my computer.

Belgarath

4. Kris Niesen

Kris Niesen Auditioning

Thanks for responding.

I have an additional question.

If it is possible to upgrade software: In which terms we are speaking? How far can these upgrades go? Is it an obvious or hearable upgrade?

I'll hope I make me clear.

5. Belgarath

Belgarath Agent

Your receiver (and in principle all modern receivers) can be seen as a computer.
    When you switch them on, they boot into their operating system, which is stored in a chip, this software is called firmware.
    It can be upgraded to a new version via the RS-232C port, but this differs from brand to brand, as some brands don't offer this option via this port.

In principle everything your receiver can do, can be altered by another firmware.
    This also means that you can irrepairably damage your receiver by updating with the wrong firmware.

If you have anymore questions, just let me know (mag ook in het Nederlands).

Belgarath