RS-232C PORT! any use

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Shaunm.sm, May 21, 2003.

1. Shaunm.sm

Shaunm.sm Auditioning

Hi i was just looking at the marantz SR7300 ose and it has an RS-232C port for future upgrades and i was wondering if there is any company (marantz,pioneer,denon,sony etc) who actually have offered upgrades for there recievers thru the RS232C port and what the upgrades were and if they cost money. Also what are the limitations with the RS232C Port like what can and cant be upgraded (e.g. new sound decoding formats)

Thanks [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    P.S This is a question that has been on my mind for a long time.

2. Curtis

Curtis Auditioning

Shaunm.sm
    I can't speak for the Marantz SR7300 but I'm the proud owner of the Sony 5ES reciever and I used the port to do a firmware update. The update was needed because there was a DTS ES decoding issue with Newline DVD's that have 6.1 tracks on them.
    Nope, didn't cost anything as Sony has a web site where the upgrade can be downloaded to your P.C.
    Here is the site check it out.
    http://www.css.ap.sony.com/

3. Brian Fitterman

Brian Fitterman Stunt Coordinator

Same goes for the Anthem AVM-20.

Also, I am looking into some eqpipment from XANTECH that will turn IR into RS232 codes. I want to be able to get better control of my AVM-20 that way. The commands that it accepts from RS232 are much more powerfull than the ones from IR.