What's new

RS-232 Port Usefullness (1 Viewer)

Joseph.P

Auditioning
I've narrowed down my upcoming receiver choice to the Yamaha rx-v1400 or v2400. The only difference I'm aware of(except for a few watts/channel) is that the v2400 has an RS-232 port and the v1400 doesn't.

Does this feature warrant the extra $$? For those out there who have rs-232 ports on their system, how often have you used it to upgrade the internals? Did it extend the usability of your system because you were able to upgrade the s/w?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think the short answer is: the RS-232 port is as useful as the manufacturer is diligent about making updates available to the public. Some manufacturers include the port but never put up updates for download, in which case it's useless.

I'd go to Yammy's site and see if there's a download area for owners. If they do have one, you can see pretty easily how often Yammy puts something up for download. If they never do, then there's little reason to believe they'll all of the sudden pick up the pace in the next year or so...

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I have an RX-V1200 and AFAIK Yamaha has the ports for diagnosis/repair only. i.e. there is no end user use for them at all. This is per my Yamaha's manual. Again, AFAIK.

JackS

Supporting Actor
The port has been used for minor updates to fix known problems with certain equipment. If you are having no problems with your receiver, the latest firmware revision would probably be of no use to you. Further more, these revisions are seldom publisied unless there is an inherant problem with all units within a model. Often these revisions will require you to return your unit to an authorized dealer for the update. Also the port can be used for true upgrades which would be publisised and in most cases would be sold and would contain a part number.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
I am surprised by these answers. When this subject came up a month ago, everybody talked about how much fun they were having with the software controls [maybe that was another forum]. You can make all sorts of tweaks and settings. Yes, the software is for dealers only, but is not actually password protected on their site (links are all over the internet). Anybody can get it.

With all the excitement, I even downloaded the software - and I dont even have a yamaha (I just wanted to play with the interface).

Given the choice, I would take the 232 port (even at more $$).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks