What's new

RS-232 Port on Receiver (1 Viewer)

John_D

Auditioning
I want to be able to utilize the RS-232 port on my Kenwood Sovereign receiver to be able to control Power states and input, volume control. Basically want to write my own control software.

Can anyone give any advice on how to accomplish this without having to buy an outrageously priced home automation package?

Regards,

John

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
What are you going to use to "talk" to your receiver? The most obvious is a PC or laptop. Connecting them physically is straightforward with a DB9 (usually) cable. There's some RS232 connection help here Typically, the RS232 link in your receiver is set up as a "command-response" protocol, so you'll need a symbol table or command list for the receiver (should be in the owners manual somewhere). You may need to adjust the settings on your PC com port to match the receiver (# of bits, parity, stop bit, etc).

From there, its just a matter of writing some software for your PC to implement either simple individual commands or complex sets of commands.

John_D

Auditioning
I will be using a computer to talk to the receiver.

I have the serial cable already, I may need to mess around with the parity, stop bits, etc, as I am not getting any response from the unit.

I don't have a list of any command sets or anything.

I have asked Kenwood for some front end software, but that could take a while for them to get back to me.

I don't suppose anyone out there has any command sets or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks