RS-232 port, is it that important? Software upgrades?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

I am debating between a few different recievers. Yamaha rxv-1400 and 2400. Well the only major difference between the two is 10 watts of power and the rs-232 port on the back. I know that means I can upgrade software... but is that important? Will I ever use it? What does it do? For example if the 2400 doesnt do dts-es for example, can I software upgrade it so it will????

2. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

same dilemma here: 1400 or 2400? Only difference seems to be power, 2400 also has bigger capacitors, a few more inputs, and rs232... is it likely that we will ever need this? I mean, we'd only need it if Yamaha released a software upgrade. Based on their history, have they ever done this and does it seem likely they will do it again?

3. Bertrand-R

Bertrand-R Agent

Here is what Yamaha Canada told me about the rs232 port:

"The RS232c port is for custom installations where you want a Highly expensive Remote to control all function in your house.EG Turn on A/C, Open garage door, shut the blinds etc. Panja and Crestron are manufacturers of these products who would use the port."
    Will it be useful for upgrade? I dont think.
    Bertrand

4. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

And another question is would you be willing to do it?

If you can flash any av amp/processor yourself it's at your own risk. Most have surface mount firmware chips- not like the old socketed EEPROM of PC's a few years ago. So a unsuccessful flash will result in a costly repair (it will mean your dealer/the manu. will refuse repair/replacement FOC), as this was user error.

The RS232 port isn't usually for flash upgrades- normally used for remote controls and device control.

5. Bob*S

Bob*S Stunt Coordinator

It is fairly routine to flash firmware on computers - video, audio, drive controllers, even BIOS and many of these have surface-mount chips. As long as you follow the instructions provided with the update, these things should just work.

A/V equipment looks more like computer equipment every month with many standard communications interfaces making appearances on the newer A/V equipment. The reason for not providing firmware updates is more likely a perceived need to control customers or some licensing requirement. Smart A/V comapnies will learn what the computer companies already know - letting the customer service himself is less costly.

Bob

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

If the flash upgrade was anything like the Sony 9000es Prepro then it can be done by a monkey. It's EASY. The upgrade on the Anthem and Rotel Pre/pros I've heard are rather simple too.

Then again I wouldn't expect that from a $1000USD receiver and neither should anyone else.