RS-232 plug on AVR's?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Richard Little, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Richard Little

Richard Little Stunt Coordinator

What is the RS-232 connection found on some receivers supposed to be used for and has anybody actually utilized whatever feature that is?

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Rotel uses it for controlling their receivers and pre amps via PC software or Creston remotes etc. They also use it to update the firmware which they've do so numerous times on the 1055, 1066 and 1065 models.

3. Richard Little

Richard Little Stunt Coordinator

I wonder if Pioneer has ever taken advantage of this update feature on their receivers. The reason for the question is the 53tx and 45tx are virtually identical except the newer (53tx) does not have USB input or the SR-232. The first is useless to me and the second is what I was trying to see if it had any benefit. The cost would be ~$700 for a floor model 45tx that only has a 180 day manufacture warranty and ~$800 for a new in box 53tx with the full 2 year warranty. What do you think?

4. Don Barduca

Don Barduca Stunt Coordinator

Interesting. Every place I have ever been to gives the full manufacturers warranty when selling a floor model. Demo it there, if the 45tx seems in near mint condition then buy it, so you won't POSSIBLY regret the features missing on the 53tx later on. My guess is that the average repair costs around $100-$200 bucks, so you need to weigh whether that possibility negates the lesser warranty, or if the possibility of a firmware update is useful to you. Personally, I liked the backlit remote on the 45tx better, and didn't feel like paying another $60-100 for another after dishing out that much moo-la!

As a side note, some dealers are still selling the 45tx at a higher price than the newer 53tx simply because they know that their average customer knows the 45tx offers a couple more features. $700 is a good deal if the unit is in great condition.

5. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit