What's new

RS - 232 control. (1 Viewer)

ovidius

Auditioning
Real Name
john janus
Reading my 47LG6000 LCD TV user manual i found that I can control my TV turn On and Off from my HTPC via RS-232 connection.

Can anyone tell me how it is done? I want the TV to function as a monitor turning on and off with the HTPC.

I would be gratefull for any advice.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Somewhere on the LG site, you should be able to find a list of RS232 commands. If you're lucky, LG uses a straightforward sort of control language, something like ABBBCCCD (A= header, B=command, C=Variable, D=end-of-block.) If you're unlucky, it'll be like some other equipment I've been stuck dealing with where you get a command string like AAABBBCCCDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEFFFG where it's A=Header, B=Type of string (command/status), C=Command, D=variable, E=pad out to 32 characters, F=calculated check-sum, G=end-of-block.

Then you need an RS-232 output from the PC. You might need to get an external, a USB-> RS232 or an Ethernet to RS232. (Comtrol makes some nice ones.) Wire it all together, and then figure out where, when, and how you get your HTPC software to spit out the power commands.

The only site showing anything that might be useful is a UK site, and right now, it's dog-slow across the Atlantic.

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks