RPTV's with low minimum viewing distance

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AllanN, Jul 21, 2002.

1. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

What models of RPTV's priced up to $2000 have minimum viewing distances less than 8 feet?

2. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Supporting Actor

I'm curious as to what determines minimum viewing distance. Looking at RPTV's in Circuit City, they all look bad if you get three or four feet away from them. But I tried standing seven feet from all of them and that didn't seem to be a problem.

It seems to me that there's some point at which the picture looks swimmy and grainy but anywhere farther away than that point it's fine. It doesn't seem to change for bigger vs. smaller screens. I thought maybe it was some sort of near-field effect of the amplification they build into the projection screen material.

We watch our 27" TV at 77 inches eyeball to screen right now but that's with the sofa sort of scrunched up closer because the picture is so small on a movie that's a 2:35 aspect ratio. If I get a bigger screen, we'll be watching at about 86 to 88 inches and that seems to work OK on even the ones bigger than 60".

3. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

At eight feet on a progressive capable mid-50" TV should be a very nice fit.

I wouldn't go with anything smaller, especially with the prices these days...