RPTVs need video shielded speakers, right?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by PaulHeroy, Mar 31, 2003.

1. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

I have some older but very nice speakers (Mirage M3) that I'm selling partially because they're not video shielded and my new HDTV (direct view CRT) seems to be much more sensitive to them than my old TV. A potential buyer says that this shouldn't affect RPTVs, but I'm not sure... haven't had any experience with them myself. Can anyone confirm that? The buyer wants to put the speakers right next to the cabinet so even a small effect would probably be noticeable.

2. Craig

Craig Second Unit

RPTVs generally don't require shielded speakers. The electronics are down at the bottom of the RPTV, the main part of the RPTV is basically just a box filled with light. I have a pair of Mirage OM10s about 12-15 inches away from the sides of my Toshiba RPTV, no problem.

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The only problem you will have with mag fields is if you put a center channel (non shielded) down in front of the TV ...

regards

4. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the comments. Sounds like it may work; luckily the buyer is local so we can probably try it out without too much hassle. The woofers on the M3 are a couple feet up from the ground so even though they're fairly big magnets maybe it'll be ok.