RPTV's displaying HDTV natively in 720p and 1080i.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoelC, Oct 3, 2002.

1. JoelC

JoelC Stunt Coordinator

with the announcement on ABC and ESPN doing HDTV next year in 720p, I am looking for a set that can do 720p and 1080i. Can anyone let me know what sets can do this natively. I currently have a Pioneer Elite and love it, but it does not support 720p. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

I've been out of the market for a while, but Panny was only one that of mass consumer TV's that could do 790 (native). Have you considered a front projector???

3. JoelC

JoelC Stunt Coordinator

Hi Ron, I think my TV is on too much for a FP and I would go through bulbs like crazy.....

4. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I'll just repost the reply I posted in the TV section recently about this [​IMG] :
    Here's a list of the HDTV monitors on the market as of April of this year, with their native resolution. There aren't a whole lot of 720p mainstream (and mainstream-priced) products available. Princeton and Sampo have some native 720p 27" - 36" Direct View monitors available for less than $3K, but pretty much everything else is at least double that, and often those are front projectors.
    http://www.ce.org/publications/book...sting_apr02.pdf
    /Mike

5. JoelC

JoelC Stunt Coordinator

Hi Mike, I can't seem to get your link to come up. It amazes me that ABC/ESPN would want to do 720p because there are hardly any sets that can take advantage of this. Does anyone know if there will be more availablity of sets with 720p? Thanks.

6. Scott DeToffol

Scott DeToffol Stunt Coordinator

Anyone know if the Toshiba TW40X81 does 720p native? I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

7. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

Nope (I used to own a TW40X81). The new Toshibas accept 720p, but don't show it natively. They scale it to 1080i.

8. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Well, all sets convert a 720p signal to 1080i, so it's not like they can't display the picture. I guess ABC just found it to be a better format for whatever reason.

9. SeanWillis

SeanWillis Agent

I don't think you can say all sets will convert a 720p to 1080i. I'm pretty sure the panny won't. The conversion has to be done in the HD box. This could be the case with many sets.

Cheers,

Sean

10. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Sean, sorry, I should have been clearer. The point is that they can all display a 720p signal, even if it has to be converted to 1080i, either in the external tuner or the TV. AFAIK however, all TV's accept a 720p signal even if they display it in 1080i. I could be wrong about that of course.

At least I haven't seen any TV's that can't show ABC.

/Mike

11. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Joel:

Don't let the hours on a bulb stop you for enjoying a 100"+ picture...

I bought a PJ that serves as our main TV (and I have a fie year old)requires a replacement in 2000 hours. I figure that I'll have to replace the bulb in 16-17 months at an average of 4 hours per day, 7 days per week (this is on the very high side). That means I'm spending around $24 per month for the bulb. When going to the theater cost $8 per adult...that's three movies a month. That's worth it to have a screening room in my house....sports, movies, even cartoons seem like an event.

12. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor