What's new

RPTV Won't hold Convergence (1 Viewer)

Johnny_M

Second Unit
From what i understand this seems somewhat normal for these tvs but mine wont hold it for more than a couple days. I can spend several minutes adjusting it in the Service menu and get everything perfect, but by the next day or so its a little bit off again, not a great deal off, but enough to drive me insane. is there much i can do about this?

it seems to lose settings when its powered off for extended ammounts of time, but i also think its losing settings from switching video modes alot, dvd progressive and sat svdieo.

so im wondering, in theory if i setup my system to use video switching with my receiver.. so the tv is always on the same source.. do you think this would help?

the only problem with that is ill have to move everything to Svideo, instead of component.

any thoughts would be great, and yes i know i can have it serviced, but im a poor starving computer tech who cannot afford that today.

Johnny

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

How much warm up time are you giving the TV before deciding that the convergence has drifted?

Regards

Johnny_M

Second Unit
hmm, does it move after it warms up? i never thought of that. maybe im too impatient when first turning it on? how long should it take to warm up? ill try that tonight and see if the problem was just that.

Johnny

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Also, you might try resetting it, because if things are out of alignment, and you are using overkill on the electronic controls to compensate, this will drastically reduce your stability, and increase warm-up time. Always wait at least half hour or hour before doing a thorough convergance, so things warm up fully. It is also helpful not to have a very very cold room.

The reason for resetting it would be to see how far off you are without much compensation. I left that part out... ;)

Johnny_M

Second Unit
question, when im in the service menu i have 3 options for choosing presets, 1 (no correction), 2 (factory default), 3(user saved setting)

when i set it to (no correction), they are BEYOND off! nott even close, blue and red and green are every where. does this mean adding the correction is putting too much strain on it possibly?

should i first adjust the other geometry settings to get it close, then do the correction?

Johnny

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Use the "no correction" setting to do physical alignment of the CRT's and adjustment of the pots (usually inside the back cover). This may be necessary or desirable if convergence is way off. Then do the convergence adjustments using the menu and save the result as the user setting.

You may need to do lots of back and forth to get all of convergence, overscan, and geometry right and to your liking.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Johnny_M

Second Unit
Allan, this is my first RPTV and I have never performed a manual adjustment like that. I've had the tv apart for cleaning, so I'm comfortable doing it, but do you know of any instructions that could get me started and doing this properly?

Johnny

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Johnny, this is what I was alluding to by resetting things. Obviously the convergence will be way off, but how are the grids aligned in a very very rough sense. If things are misaligned, and heavy electronic compensation is then needed to compensate, you are really driving the electronics hard, and you'll never be able to get things really stable.

Johnny_M

Second Unit
Well, nothing was working, so on a whim i decided to set all the geometry settings, vertical amp, etc to ZERO (this is not factory default). Then I re-adjusted the convergence and its kept a perfect picture for the last couple days.

Makes me wonder, do manufacturers purposly misalign them so the average consumer eventually pays to have it proffesionally calibrated?

Johnny

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks