RPTV with Console gaming....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stacey_V, Oct 14, 2001.

1. Stacey_V

Stacey_V Stunt Coordinator

I have preordered an XBOX, and am really looking forward to playing it in High Def on my Sony 53HS10. What I am concerned about, is the affect of burnin with static images. I rented a PS2 not too long ago, and I found that I had to bump the contrast and brightness up quite a bit to make the picture better. Most of the games I rented seemed a bit too dark to play. Increasing the brigtness levels will 'possibly' contribute to early burn in.
    I have read that a properly calibrated RPTV should not suffer from burn in, as long as static images are not kept on screen for several hours. Advice given was to limit your play time to a couple of hours at any given time.
    Now, my question....has anyone here seen or experienced console game burn in on a RPTV unit?
    Is this something that I should be concerned with?
    I REALLY want to be able to take advantage of what the XBOX and my Sony can do.
    Any thoughts?
    Regards,
    Stacey
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Stacey;
    I'm in the same boat as you, only with a forthcoming Gamecube instead of an Xbox.
    I have seen the affects of burn in through console gaming, and it is not pretty. My friend's parents purchased a 50" RPTV several years ago. Now, keep in mind that these people are not home theater enthusiasts, so naturally they didn't bother to tweak their set or adjust the settings via a calibration disc. (In fact, all these people had was a mono VCR.) Therefore the contrast and brightness settings were probably set way too high, which didn't help matters any.
    Well, this guy's mother fell in love with a Super NES game called "Wario's Woods" which was a "Tetris"-styled puzzle game. She ended up playing the game for hours at a time. Since it was a "Tetris" rip-off, the screen was pretty static all the time, and a horrible burn-in resulted, perhaps the worst I have ever seen on any TV or computer screen. You could actually see the outlines of the board when the TV was off. You can imagine how it looked when the set was on.
    I agree that it's annoying that you have to turn up the brightness and contrast setting on the TV in order for games to look better. I really wish game producers would just make their games brighter to begin with so we didn't have to do that.
    I, too, have the brightness turned up a little, but I leave the contrast setting as is, since I think that you're more likely to cause burn in with that set too high. I could be wrong on this though.
    I've heard that it's a good idea to take breaks every hour or so. This is not only good for your TV, but good for your body as well. During this break, turn the TV to a snow channel. Also, many may tell you that you should use the set's stretch modes (assuming you have a 16:9 set), but I think you should be okay with the grey bars.
    If anyone else has any insight on this topic, please respond. I'm concerned about this problem as well. I'm new to the world of RPTVs and I don't want to make any potentially fatal mistakes for my new TV.
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    "Why do I always get a warped one?"

3. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

I've had my PS2 hooked up to my RPTV for a couple of months now. I too was scared about burn in, but my set is properly calibrated and I've had no problems at all. I sometimes play an hour or two of Madden with some "static" images but Im not worried anymore - of course, if I did play a game with a full time "static" image, I'd probably shut it off after an hour (just to be safe).

4. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Regarding the dark PS2 images, you might want to try a different cable. Some people have reported that some PS2 component cables produce a much darker picture. I'm using the Sony brand cables, which look fine on my Toshiba 50HX81. PS1 games tend to look quite dark though.
    Maybe I'm paranoid (ok, probably), but I change the picture format regularly when playing games. Hopefully this will lessen the chances of burn-in.
    -Dave
    ------------------
    DVD List
    "The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Jeffrey -
    Is there a reason that you recommend tuning to a snow channel, rather than any other channel? Does it help more?
    Thanks,
    Dave
    ------------------
    DVD List
    "The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

6. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

I remember someone here on the forum posting about burn in on their RPTV with the PS2. I can't remember which TV he had or what game he was playing, but I think he said it happened after about 2 hours of playtime. Sorry, I can't remember more.

7. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter