What's new

RPTV with built in surround sound (1 Viewer)

My new Sony KDP57XBR2 HD RPTV has a built in center channel, rear and sub outputs, and a 100W amp. Has anybody tried to use this as the only sound system? The Hibachi top series has this feature too.

Before you go crazy, this set is in my family room. My old set including 5.1 system is in the basement where we watch DVDs and feature films. The new set is for mostly watching TV shows and cable movies and the kids rooms aren't too far away. For these reasons I am not going to invest into a second REAL "home theater" sound system just to have the wife say "turn it down, you'll wake the kids".

Anyway, I may buy some sort of small rear speaker and hook up my smallish Klipsch KSW10 subwoofer. I wondered if anybody done this or could recommend a rear speaker?

Thanks

MIKE

Well I got a pair of Klipsch Quintet speakers and connected them to the TV as well as the Klipsch KSW-10 suswoofer. I put in the DVD of "Behind Enemy Lines". I can't saay much about the movie but it sounded really great! The front and center speakers built into the KDP57XBR2 really sound excellent: Great highs and even without the sub, they go quite low. I also played "The Eagles: Hell Freezes Over" DVD. Sounded excellent there too. The only drawback to this system I can see is the front speakers are close together and it probably couldn't go as loud as a dedicated system, but I had it as loud as I wanted and it was crystal clear.

I would highly recommend using the built in sound of this RPTV unless using it as a true dedicated home theater system.

MIKE

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks