What's new

RPTV - Wide Shots Fuzzy (1 Viewer)

Mark_H

Stunt Coordinator
Just got my first RPTV, a Sony KP-57WS510, and am currently watching alot of SDTV from both Antenna and Satelite.

I've noticed when I'm watching a Football Game in SD that the close up shots looks pretty nice, not close to a DVD but pretty good.

When they pan back to see both sides of the ball prior to the snap the quality is pretty ugly.

I realize its not going to look near as good as my old 35" direct view did due to the size difference and the Wide/Zoom stretching it but I didn't expect this much difference.

I do some 35mm photography and the focus on any wide angle shot is much less critical and so much more likely to be in focus.

Even watching a DVD in progressive mode, the Close ups are awesome but the wide shots are not nearly so good.

Why are the wide shots so poor in comparison to the the Closeups?

Thanks.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
If it's coming via satellite it may well be digital compression artifacts that will manifest itself more, the more action/motion is going on. I notice this on a couple channels that I get via regular cable, even on my very small direct-view set. Could be something similar, as you mention panning, in which case it's just the crappy feed.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I experienced that a lot with directv and my 48inch HDTV. Now I have a cable HD box using components and it's much better. Maybe you should try one of the new D* boxes with component....I also noticed when I had Directv is that using composite cables was better than s-video on my unit. It probably used the digital comb filter of the set.

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
same problem here. close/medium shots are wonderful, but long shots are very fuzzy. very annoying, but i guess i will put up with it until everything goes hi-def.

ag.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Mark,

I too notice this on all my DVD viewing. Close-ups look almost HD-like (especially on reference quality DVDs) but long shots look "out-of-focus." I'm viewing on a properly calibrated HD display. There's nothing you can do about it. I guess the quality of DVD just isn't amazing enough to look good, on long-shots. I have yet to find a DVD (reference or otherwise) that has amazing looking long-shots.

Mark_H

Stunt Coordinator
My DVD watching is in progressive mode with Dayton Component cables. Most close shots look very impressive but wide shots even those that have little or no movement don't look nearly as good.

I'll be receiving a Denon 1600 player next week so maybe it will be a bit better.

My hookup to the Dish Satelite receiver is via Dayton S-Video cable.

The DVD close shots really spoil you but it doesn't seem to matter what source I'm watching (DVD, Analog OTA or Dish Satellite) all sources look much better close up than wide. Some of the channels on Dish Network look pretty awful when the shot is wide.

I'm guessing from what others are saying here its not just my Sony monitor but I wish someone could better explain this phenomenon.

How about those receiving HD signals, are the wide shots not as good as close ups?

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
but watching the redskins in hi-def is AMAZING!!! everything is sharp as a tack! you can read the playbook! even those long distance shots are perfect.

ag.

even if they did lose....... :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks