What's new

RPTV - What do I need to know? (1 Viewer)

Phil Mays

Second Unit
I will soon be purchasing a HPTV either the Pioneer or JVC. I have some questions that I need to know, or some that I do not know. I am leaning heavily towards the JVC due to price $1,700 -vs- $2,900.
1. Is 16:9 the widescreen format that is referred to as
letterbox and on most DVD's?
2. When watching satelite, what is the term where the
screen is reduced width wise to fit normal programing
in so as not to fatten the picture?
3. What would the best connection be for optimal viewing
with satelite?
4. What else do I need to know (or) what am I missing?
5. With audio what connection is optimal, Fiber optic or
digital co-ax?
6. Some TV's have the digital or HD tuner bulit in. Can
one buy that seperately and save some cash?
For your reference I currently have a JVC 36" i Art flat screen TV. I like the TV however the DVD's format is extremely irritating in letterbox format. THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!
:) :) :)

James Stierman

Stunt Coordinator
1. The widescreen format is for HD not for DVDs. Some DVD will fit the widecreen perfectly, other however will have a black bar on the top and bottom becase they are filmed in a wider aspect than 16:9. The bars will not be as large as on a 4x3 though. It depend on the aspect the movie was filmed in.

2.There are many different option to fill the screen, you can stretch the picture, or zoom in and cut of part of the picture. Most brand will have a few different options on how you can do this.

3. S-video is gonna be you best choice, unless you are going with a HD satelite then you would of course us component video.

4. ?

5. Technically digital co-ax is supposed to be better. They seem about the same to me, i always us optical. Optical is a little more sensitive thena digital co-ax so if you have to make any sharp bends with it i would suggest the co-ax.

6. If you have satalite when you upgrade to a HD satalite it will have th tuner built in to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks