rptv vs. tube tv

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Joseph_Jackson, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Joseph_Jackson

Joseph_Jackson Auditioning

Hello All, I had a question about sharpness. I have a mits wt-46809 and a buddy of mine has a toshiba 27 analog tv. I was watching a movie on his television a few days ago, and noticed that his picture was more sharp than mine. Are tube tv's more sharp than rptv? Not only was the picture sharper but the colors were better. My tv has not been prof. calibtrated as of yet.I was just wondering if getting my set calibrated whould address these issues. I have all high grade component cables going from my dvd player to my tv.The movie was lord of the rings.

My setup is:

Mits Wt-46809
    denon AVR 3803
    denon DVD 2900

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

I hope you realize that the amount of information in a TV image is finite. The image is not like that esper machine in Blade Runner that can infinitely zoom into a picture and give you infinite detail.

What does a photo look like when you blow it up from its 6"x4" size to 60" x 40"? Do you wonder why the image no longer looks as sharp as the small image? If that answer is obvious, then why is the TV answer not so?

A DVD image is made up of 350K pixels of information ... this number does not increase if you show it on a 27" TV or a 46".

Did you also notice that VHS also looks much better on smaller screens? Infact, if you go small enough, it looks just like DVD ... so why would people even consider DVD when it looks the same as VHS? Heck, even HDTV looks like VHS at that small size ...

But make no mistake about it ... RPTV's like yours can show much more detail than that analog 27". YOu feed it the right stuff and you will see. Feed it the wrong stuff ... well ...

On the subject of colours ... use a test disc to calibrate the TV ... or get a pro calibration. You'll get better colours.

Regards

3. Agustin

Agustin Agent

if you dont have AVIA you can adjust your tv with any movie on dvd with THX Optimizer you'll se a great dif.

4. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

Joseph_Jackson:

5. Daniel Becker

Daniel Becker Second Unit

Well, on the ol' RPTV Vs. Tube debate I fall on the tube side of the fence. [​IMG] I was in the market for my first HDTV a few months ago and I made the decision to go with a Sony 36" HS510. I couldn't be happier with it and your impressions about the tube tv being sharper and brighter seem to be very common. I feel the tube just puts out a much more pristine image. My 36" set in widescreen mode provides an image that is the equivalent of a 33" 16:9 set. Not bad at all as long as you sit about 8' away as I do.

I've seen some very nice images from RPTVs but thats only on the very high end and it seems to be the general opinion that RPTVs really don't give you their full potential until you have them calibrated. Thats not as critical with a good HDTV. RPTVs are just more complicated and prone to a lot more issues than a tube. In particular burn-in is always a concern and if you play any videogames thats a huge concern. I just feel like tube tvs are the way to go until plasmas come down to real world prices. In about 5 years i'm sure i'll be shopping for a plasma.

Dan.B

6. Kyle Tippett

Kyle Tippett Stunt Coordinator

7. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

8. Daniel Becker

Daniel Becker Second Unit

I agree. RPTVs can look amazing if they're calibrated, if the lighting is perfect, and if the viewer is seated in the perfect position. Of course the trade-off is you get a much bigger screen for less money. A tough choice for sure but I chose to go with a nice sized tube screen at 36" and I get all the benefits of a tube.

Dan>B

9. Justin Hargis

Justin Hargis Stunt Coordinator

10. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit