RPTV vs direct view - need help deciding

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JamesSchu, Aug 5, 2003.

1. JamesSchu

JamesSchu Auditioning

RPTV vs direct view - need help deciding

Firstly, sorry to be yet another newb with a first post begging for advice, but I figure you guys are likely used to it.

So I want to buy a decent 16:9 TV to complete my very modest first home theatre (I have a Yamaha HTR 5650 receiver, JBL SCS135SI speakers, and a Toshiba prog. DVD)

At first I was thinking of a RPTV between 40-50” – I don’t think I’d want anything larger because my viewing distance is only 95-100”. But as I looked around at RPTVs in stores, I have to say I’m not very impressed with the viewing angles or amplification of SD source flaws. I do think viewing angle is important for my situation--the room is much wider than it is deep.

I am quite impressed with some of the digital widescreen direct view TVs, like the 36” Sony Wega for instance, but to pay as much or more for a 36” direct view than you would for a 50” RPTV seems a bit frustrating.

Anyway, what are your thoughts, opinions on the RPTV vs digital direct view debate? Some favourite or best models of each? I’m hoping to spend $3,000 CDN or under if possible. I would greatly appreciate any advice or comments.

James.

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Well James, you have pretty well hit on one of the major RPTV problem areas when you noticed the narrow(er) viewing angle. I consider another significant problem is that it is difficult to move a RPTV with realignment—of course this may not apply to you. Direct view displays also have an advantage in rooms with a significant amount of ambient light.

SD will be a problem on most displays—it just appears to be more of a problem with the larger display—there is nothing inherent in RPTV that makes a SD telecast look worse than a direct view display.

RPTVs clearly have an edge in ‘picture size for the dollar’ as opposed to direct displays, when compared to direct view sets.

In the end, I’d recommend continuing to audition plenty of displays. And decide the type best for your.

3. JamesSchu

JamesSchu Auditioning

Thanks Lew,

Good points about ambient light and moving.

As an aside, I was at the Sony store, checking out their best RPTVs in the back of the store in the 'home theatre' room with the swanky leather couch, etc. They had Star Wars II running on the four sets in there. So I mention to the sales guy (who had the title of 'manager' on his name tag) that I'm not impressed with the picture, and he says to me 'yeah, well what do you expect when you're splitting a non-progressive signal four ways and using cheap RCA cables?' I thought wtf?? These are your best sets, in your swanky back room, and you don't even use decent cables or a prog player? I would have expected more from the Sony store.

4. JamesSchu

JamesSchu Auditioning

Any other opinions out there?

I was thinking of the Tosh 50HDX82 or Sony KP-47WT500 as far as rptvs, or the 36" Wega for direct-view.

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

James, if your budget will allow, check out the Pioneer Elite series. I have not paid close attention to RPTV displays for about a year, so there is likely some others that match these sets by now. The top-end Mitsubishis have their fans as well (I’ve not looked closely at them for some time).

Pretty funny about the Sony display. What are these guys thinking?

6. AndySaj

AndySaj Auditioning

James,

I recently went through the same desision making process. I sold my 50" Tosh TV to upgrade to a widescreen HDTV. I could not decide between direct view or projection. I ended up going with the Sony KV34HS510, mainly because of the wider viewing angle, and the brighter picture. However, after a couple weeks, my wife and I were missing the bigger picture. So, yesterday I stopped by circuit City and purchased the KP46WT510, and arranged for them to pick up the directview. We had been contemplating this TV from day 1 as well, and I think we will be much happier with it. I think you might be surprised by the viewing angle on higher end projection TVs, but glare might be the biggest concern. My advice, buy from someplace that gives you some time to try the TV out and gives you the option to do an exchange if it doesnt fit your needs.

Oh yeah, the reason I had limited my choices to the Sony's was that I wanted something with integrated shelving for a dvd/vcr and cable box. We wanted to get rid of all of the ugly A/V equipment in the living room, and move that to the home theater room in the basement. Trying to clean things up a bit upstairs.

Hope this helps some.

Andy

7. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

If you are willing to spend a little more, check out the new Samsung DLP RPTVs. I am looking at them now and they seem to have all the benefits of direct view in an RPTV. They have an amazingly sharp picture, no risk of burn-in, and a large screen without the large base. But they are currently selling for $3,400 to $4,000.

8. JamesSchu

JamesSchu Auditioning

Hey, thanks for the replies.

Ah yes, the Samsung DLPs. I just saw one in the best buy the other day. Very nice indeed, however I think they are just a wee bit outside my budget. We just bought our first house, and a nice TV is just one on a very long list of things to get for the new abode.

I am going to insist on some options for returning/exchanging before I buy.

9. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Stunt Coordinator

We went with a Sony 57 inch 700 series RPTV and the picture has just been excellent on it. Our former TV was a 36 inch Wega and this picture is better than the direct view. No regrets here.

10. AndySaj

AndySaj Auditioning

That's good to hear Rick, because while I am sure the 46" Sony projection is going to be nice, I am still a little leary of the pic not being quite as nice as the 34" direct view. But I a sure the $300 I saved, and the 12" larger picture will make it easy to forget the direct view.

The projection arrives on Tuesday. I put the stand together last night, I am ready.

Andy