RPTV vs. Direct-view CRT, a few questions

Discussion in 'Displays' started by nick_rh, Jan 13, 2004.

1. nick_rh

nick_rh Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking into buying a widescreen HDTV (my first), and I've narrowed down the decision to two Panasonic models: the CT-34WX53 (34" tube) and the PT-47WX53 (47" RPTV). I can get good deals on both, though the latter would be a couple hundred dollars cheaper.

Since I'm used to looking at a tube TV (I currently have a 27" Wega), is it going to be hard for me to get used to the image on an RPTV? I'm leaning towards the PT-47WX53, mainly because it's bigger and cheaper than the CT-34WX53, but I do like the sharpness of the picture on my tube and when I've looked at TVs in showrooms (I know, not the ideal environment to judge) the tubes always tend to look better.

One more thing: because my living room isn't huge, I'll only be sitting about 7 feet away from the set. Is that too close for a 47-incher? Should I shoot for something smaller?

2. John S

John S Producer

Go for the size upgrade!!!!

CRT RPTV's, make truly awesome HDTV platforms.
    I think your transition will be a very pleasant one myself.

3. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

I had the CT-32 (first run) and then later upgraded to the first run of the PT-47. When I had the 32, I wish I had gotten the 34 (16x9), but the cost at the time ($4K was too much for me).

The Panny PT is a great set for the money IF and only IF you get it calibrated, once I did that the difference was night and day and had no regrets switching up to a larger RPTV. The only issue I had was Video games look much worse on the RPTV.

That being said, if I could get a 42-45" CRT TUBE set, I would do it in a second, weight be damned [​IMG]

I recently upgraded from the PT-47 to a an LCD set. DLP/LCD, to me, are the best medians between CRT (no burn in, can watch in bright light) and RPTV (big picture, 16:9).

4. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

get the 47! or do what we did, after my wife said "well, when we get one it wont be one of those dinky 47s. we'll get that 53 incher!" [email protected], now i gotta keep her! [​IMG]

anyway, the picture is spectacular! the only thing you will have to get used to is saying "how could i have watched that little tv all these years?!?!?"

there are very few movies that i will now go to the theater to see. its just too nice at home now.

ag.

5. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Rick,

I was in the same boat as you and I ended up getting the 47. After an year of watching it, I can't go back watching like a 35" tube.

I sit about 7-10 feet away and its the perfect size for the room.

6. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Tim,

Did you had your PT-47 ISF Calibrated? If so, do you remember who was the calibrator?

I am trying to find an ISF calibrator in the LA/OC area with a good trach record.

7. Andy Goldstein

FWIW, mine isnt calibrated, and looks amazing. i have tweaked it with DVE, but nothing in the service menu. yet. OTOH, i have never seen one after a pro calibration. i just cant afford/justify 500 bux to get it done.

ag.

8. nick_rh

Thanks very much for the input, all! Another question for those that have this set: how good is its 3:2 pulldown processing? Should I get a progressive scan DVD player or let the TV do the work?

9. nick_rh

Also wondering about burn-in potential on this set (PT-47WX53). I watch a lot of shows on my TiVo and I'm sure I'll want to watch at least some of them in their native 4x3 with no stretching or zooming. Is this something to worry about? I certainly plan on calibrating the set with DVE or something of that ilk (and possibly a professional calibration at some point); does that reduce the risk of burn-in?

10. Andy Goldstein

i'm letting the tv do the 3:2 job. looks fine to me. but i have not tried a progressive scan player.

as for burn-in: yes, it can happen. we watch mostly 4:3 material, but always in "just" mode to fill the screen. no problems so far, and i got used to the stretch mode very quickly.

ag.

11. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Not only reduces, but (IMHO) it generally eliminates the chance as long as you keep the settings at calibration level (no blasting the contrast at high noon because the sun is coming through the window), vary your viewing habits and do not allow static images on the screen for extended lengths of time (i.e. paused video games, DVD's and/or VHS).

12. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The directview is nice, but the RPTV is capable of displaying much more detail than the tube set. Usually about 40% more detail when it comes to HD signals.

You will also deal with more nagging geometry and convergence issues with the directview tube set that simply cannot be fixed.

No one says that you must must get a professional calibration. YOu can get close yourself if you are willing to do much of the physical work yourself and learn learn learn.

Regards

13. nick_rh

Well, I can't thank you all enough for your valuable input here. I'm happy to say...

I BOUGHT IT!

Within a couple weeks I'll have a shiny new PT-47WX53 sitting in my living room. When I get it I'll be sure to let everyone know what I think!

Once again, many thanks to everyone who offered their advice!

14. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Congratulation on your new toy.

How much did it end up costing you?

15. nick_rh

Just under $1275, including tax and "white glove" shipping.

16. John S

John S Producer

Right on!!

Come back and give your experiences with it please.

Sounds like a darn nice HDTV, congrats!

17. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

Michael, what about Sony's new 34" tube, is it still 40%?

18. Matt_Marlow

Matt_Marlow Stunt Coordinator

My mother bought that particular 47" RPTV and sits about 7' from the screen. It's just about perfect from that distance.

DVDs look really nice on it, HDTV even better. Especially sports in HD! Amazing looking. I calibrated it with Video Essentials. She'd never owned an RPTV before, but bought one after I talked her into it (I've owned 3 RPTVs) and she couldn't be happier.

It's too bad that RPTVs look so bad in showrooms because many people don't know what they're missing once they get one home.