RPTV Viewing Angle

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DonO, Nov 7, 2002.

1. DonO

DonO Auditioning

I am looking to purchase my first big screen tv. The room I will be installing it in is large but the place where the TV needs to go has a "stage" that is approximately 18" high by 40" deep by 85" wide. I'd like to get at least a 56" hdtv but hopefully keep my spending less than $2500. I've looked at a bunch of stores and it seems that with RPTV's the viewing angle is very important. Looking at the screen straight on gives the best picture and moving up or down just a few inches seems to make a big difference. That's the way it seems in a brightly lit store anyways. I'm wondering if I put one of these on my 18 inch "stage" will I be able to see it ok from my couch which I could put 12 to 18 feet away.
    It appears there are no big screen RPTV's that have a short base. There is a 46" Mitsubishi but it seems too small. Does anyone know if there are certain models that are better than others at off angle (vertical) viewing? Alternatively, I'm wondering if it might be feasible to tilt the tv slightly forward without screwing things up. I saw the new 60" Sony lcd GWII last night at the Sony store in Manhattan and it would fit perfectly but unfortunately it's too expensive. Thanks for any ideas or advice...

2. Dennis Ho

Dennis Ho Auditioning

Anyone?

3. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

To get things started, my feeling is that if it's only 18", you're going to be fine. Hopefully someone who's done something like this will chime in with their thoughts.

Matt

4. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

All DLP and/or LCD RPTV's have a short base, but they are out of your budget. My advice is to take measurements of the vertical angle you will be viewing at and then view at that angle in the store. I have seen commercial installations of RPTV's that are much higher than 18" that have no problem with vertical viewing angle, but YMMV. As a last resort, have you considered a Sawz-All and sledgehammer?

5. Eric.Brink

Eric.Brink Auditioning

Can't you just tilt it down a degree or two? Put a thin strip of something under the rear edge of the cabinet.