RPTV View distance question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Kasprzak, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Mark Kasprzak

I'm in the middle of buying a house where I'll (finally!) have room for an RPTV. I'd like to get a 65 inch display; I'm looking at the 65swx20b. My distance from screen to eye will be slightly over nine feet - I've seen the formulas and such which say that 65 inches will be too large for that size room, but I'm a big fan of Large screens.

I'd like to know if there's anyone with a 65 inch display at 9 feet, and what they think of that size/distance. Would you go smaller? Also, what detriments are there, aside from the enlargement of defects?

2. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

Well, I am going to be about 10 feet away and I am getting a 48 16:9 inch. I was about 12 feet away from my last tv, which was a 60" 4:3 (about 55" widescreen in letterbox mode). My wife thought it was dominating in the room, so she wanted something a little less intrusive in the new house.

Unless you are watching hidef on that size of a screen, that close, you will see every imperfection in the picture, and it may just drive you crazy. I would go to the store and measure out 9 feet from the TV, and view something other than hidef, like a DVD or their cable/sat signal. If you can handle that, then you will be fine.

One other issue may be that with that size of a screen that close, you can't take in the whole picture at once, which requires you to scan the screen to take it all in. This can become fatiguing and frustrating, but everyone is different.

One thing is for sure, that size will give you the movie theater feeling from that distance.

Bryan

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph

4. Mark Kasprzak

I suppose I forgot to mention a few things - There's no WAF [​IMG], I'll be viewing about 40% movies, 50% cable, 10% Xbox [​IMG], and all of the stores around here that I've found so far that carry the swx don't have 9 feet of available space to view from.
    Plus, I'm planning on keeping this set for a number of years, and I figure that the sources can only improve, so the picture will get more and more clear over time. I hope.

5. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

I have a 50" Toshiba 50H81 which I view from a 9-ft. distance. The screen size seems just about perfect. I definitely wouldn't want anything bigger at that distance.

6. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

I've viewed a Toshiba 56 inch widescreen for over a year from about 8 feet. I know about the formulas and what not but in actual practice and real world conditions things vary. I've always thought the distance was fine but wanted to sit a little bit farther but space wouldnt allow it. I've recently moved my living room around (again) and now I sit about 10 feet eyeball to screen. This distance for me is much better. I dont see any imperfections I might see at a closer distance. Now know this if I got a 65 inch widescreen I would probably want to sit around 12 feet from the screen. 10 feet would probably be my minimum.

7. Mark Kasprzak

So it's looking like if I get the 57 Inch Model, I'll save a few dollars and be happy with the picture... But I'm wondering if I'd miss the extra real estate that a 65 would give me.

Has anyone had a 51 or 57 for a while and wish they had a larger screen?

8. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Maybe you should consider a front projector.

Jan