What's new

RPTV up-convert 480p? (1 Viewer)

liana

Agent
I have recently purchased the Hitachi 43FWX20B.
According to its specifications, it has the following options.

*1080i/540p User Selectable Display *1080i/720p/540p/480p/480i Input Processing

Now i read in another thread on this forum that this set up-converts 480p to 540p. This is all kinda new to me so bear with me. I have the Panny CP-72 5-disc dvd changer with a progressive scan output. From what i understand, progressive scan is 480p.

Does this mean that it will up-convert the resolution coming from the dvd player to 540p? If the answer is yes, wouldnt that cause a loss of picture quality, and if yes, then is it even worth it to use the progressive scan? I have a mental image of it stretching the picture i guess.
I also have a GC and PS2 i plan to hook up via component cables, as these systems are putting out games that can be displayed in 480p.

Thanks for the info!!

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
It wont stretch the image at all. It will up-convert to 540p though. My understanding is Hitachi does a great job at the conversion process. Toshiba's don't do quite as well. Whether or not using a progresive scan player with these sets that up-convert is a debatable item. Some say you still get a nicer pic with the prog players.. Considering the cost of the players these days....may as well get prog.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Your set will upconvert either output from your DVD player. 480i and 480p will both be converted to 540p, so either way, you're dealing with upconversion.

On my 42" Tosh (which also upconverts) I saw very little difference between the two modes, but progressive output did render an intricate design on a shirt in Shakespeare in Love without the slight shimmering that the interlaced output created.

Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks