RPTV troubleshooting question

Discussion in 'Displays' started by STLMIKE, Aug 11, 2003.

1. STLMIKE

STLMIKE Stunt Coordinator

Here's my problem:

I've got 2 DVD players routed through my HK AVR525's component video monitor out, a Panny RP91 (which I just bought) and a JVC 7 disc progressive scan changer (I've had for about 9 months). I have a 50" Toshiba widescreen RPTV (not sure on the model#, but bought at Best Buy).

While watching Season 4 of Star Trek DS9, I've had a strange distortion occur -- it's like the 3 component channels (R/G/B) separate from each other and for a second or 2, it looks like an old 3D movie from the 50s.

This has happened with both DVD players, and only while watching DS9 season 4 (multiple discs) -- but granted, I haven't watched much else since buying them. It happens whether I'm watching in stretch mode or 4:3 shrink.

I'm wondering if it's a glitch w/routing the video through the HK, or if it's a problem w/the component in on the Toshiba. I haven't switched to my alternate component in yet, as it's hard to get behind the TV -- and I'll know more as I watch some other discs today. If anyone has seen this before, or has any other suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I would connect directly to the Toshiba. In the case of progressive-scan video and if you insist on using the receiver as a switcher, you may have connected the player to the lower-bandwidth component-vide connection. For prog-scan signals, you need to use a wide-bandwidth connection.

3. Alan Lackey

Alan Lackey Agent

Does this happen only with the DVDs? I was just wondering if this could be a glitch in the convergence circuit?

4. STLMIKE

Yes, this has only happened w/DVDs, and very intermittently at that.

I've always had the video routed through the HK, and the picture has been superb (and still is unless this glitch occurs).

Mike

5. STLMIKE

FYI, I watched half of Tomb Raider and half of Daredevil, and this hasn't happened anymore.

Any chance it could be the discs? I can always return to Wally World for an exchange before I lose my receipt.

Mike