RPTV Suggestions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RussellC, Jan 29, 2002.

1. RussellC

RussellC Stunt Coordinator

I am looking to get a RPTV in the next couple of months and I have been researching the Toshiba **H81 and **HX81 series. I also just started looking into the Panasonic 47WX49. How does the Panny compare to the Toshiba's in features and picture quality. Any suggestions on what other TV's I should look into?

Thanks

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

A fully calibrated Panasonic looks better than either of these fully calibrated Toshiba models. More detail ...

Regards

3. RussellC

Really??? So i should consider the Panny PT-47WX49 over either of those Toshibas? Anyone else agree?

Thanks,

Russell

4. Mark Amayao

Mark Amayao Stunt Coordinator

I guess im lucky enough to work around these toys everyday ... retail side .... im around the toshibas all the time .... unfortunately .... we didnt carry the panny .... bought it at a competitor ..... (discount didnt kick in at the time) ... toshibas look awesome calibrated but .... mr mike tlv is right my panasonic looked awesome .. just with my extensive tweaking ... i can hardly fathom what mine would look like once ISF'D .... but it looks like the bottom of the crap pile out of the box .... the panny is definately worth lookin at especially at the price points they are available for ...... and there are many others who will say the same ...... good luck and enjoy whatever you decide on.

5. RussellC

Thanks for the input...my main concern about the Toshiba's is the upconversion to 540p. How much of a picture problem does this create while watching 480p DVD's and XBOX games etc...

Also, how is the stretch mode on the Panny?

Thanks,

Russell

6. RussellC

Another question about the Panny, do I have to have a 1080i source to get it calibrated properly? I hear that if you calibrated a 480p source it will affect to 480i inputs too.

-Russell