What's new

RPTV - Sony, Mistsu, or Hitachi. Which should I buy? (1 Viewer)

SeanOsborne

Auditioning
HELP, I appreciate any assistance you can give me in purchasing a RPTV. The following are the current models I am researching and appreciate any feedback:

Sony - KP57WV600 Rex dropped their $ for me to: $2500
Sony - KP57WV700 (demo model for $2800)
Mitsubishi - WS-55411 for $2500
Hitachi - 57SWX20B for $2700

I am leaning towards the Sony 600, but still unsure. They all seem to have comparable screen quality...

Also, how much a professional configuration costs? And, should I get the warranty ($300 Sony & Hitachi, $500 Mitsu).

Thanks,
Sean

SeanOsborne

Auditioning
They just seem to be way too expensive, look great, but I don't want to spend any more than $3K out the door with a warranty, etc...

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
Everyone will give you their opinion usually based on what they own. I'm no exception. I've had a Mits and wasn't overly impressed. Currently I have the Hitachi model you mentioned and love it. The set just needs a little Avia and service menu tweaks and it looks phenomenal. Of course, most sets will look pretty good after a proper calibration (even better with an ISF visit). It's going to boil down to your personal taste in the end.

Definitely stay away from the demo model and make sure to get the warranty (RPTVs are notorious for needing service and cost a bundle if you don't have the warranty).

mike.

Jon Sciabica

Agent
i would suggest the Hitachi. The wide neck guns really improve image quality. Furthermore, if you decide not to get an ISF calibration, and are not comfortable with service menus yourself, the magic focus on the hitachi is the best at auto convergance. Pluss it looks the best out of the box, and, besides maybe an Elite, will look the best after calibration.

I have a 20 year old Hitachi TV still kick'n. Of course i also has my 51swx20b

SeanOsborne

Auditioning
Thanks Mike!

I appreciate the post and will stay away from the demo.

I've heard and read great things about the Hitachi, but am seems to be a great deal on the Sony 600 (the picture is fabulous), so I'm still unsure.

Thanks again,
Sean

Dan Ponze

Stunt Coordinator
I'd say skip either of the Sony's. Personally I like the Hitachi but there are a lot of Mitsu lovers here as well.

Jim FC

Stunt Coordinator
If I had a vote I'd vote for the Mitsu: a great-looking, extremely reliable set with the best user-menu convergence of the bunch. If I had two votes, I'd vote for the Mitsu and take away a vote from the Hitachi. Never liked the look of the Hitachis, they upconvert everything to 540 lines, and to do a good convergence you have to go into the service menu.

The Sony WV series is the best-looking Sony RPTV I've seen in a while. If they weren't so dang ugly I'd give them some serious thought as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks