RPTV: Sony KP51WS510 vs Hitachi 51F500 vs Toshiba 51HX83

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rob Formica, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Rob Formica

Rob Formica Stunt Coordinator

Ok... I realise similar questions have been asked many times... but I'm looking at finalising a deal this week. I'm helping a family member purchase a RPTV... and they would like to have the following characteristics:

- 2400$cnd to 2600$cnd
    - 51" CRT RPTV
    - 16:9 including 720p/1080i

There are quite a few sets in this range... and I have suggested the Sony KP51WS510, Hitachi 51F500, and the Toshiba 51HX83 (the Sony is the least expensive and the Toshiba the most). I saw them in person at a couple of shops and they all look nice, and I know not to trust the in store "calibration".

I realise that the Hitachi "S" models are all the rage on the forums but unfortunately they list for over 750$ more than the others and I'm just not entirely sure how the "F" model compares to the others, given it's been out for a year. I saw the differences listed on the Hitachi site between their own models but anyone know how much this affects the output quality. It would be a no brainer if I could get the "S" at the same price range as the other sets.

Anyone have preferences / experience with one or several of these?

Thanks...
    Rob

2. StanMannus

StanMannus Auditioning

Anyone?

3. StanMannus

StanMannus Auditioning

Anyone?

4. Rob Formica

I ended up purchasing them the Toshiba 51HX83 as it was the best picture I saw in that price range.

They seem to like it, and does very well with DVDs and the better quality digital stations but they do not have HDTV. The poor quality broadcasts just look poor. No problems with reliability since the purchase (Feb 2004).

The Hitachi S was simply tooo expensive here in Canada, and therefore looses it's "bang for the buck" it's known for... and the F didn't look as good.
    Good luck...
    Rob

5. Rob Formica

I ended up purchasing them the Toshiba 51HX83 as it was the best picture I saw in that price range.

They seem to like it, and does very well with DVDs and the better quality digital stations but they do not have HDTV. The poor quality broadcasts just look poor. No problems with reliability since the purchase (Feb 2004).

The Hitachi S was simply tooo expensive here in Canada, and therefore looses it's "bang for the buck" it's known for... and the F didn't look as good.
    Good luck...
    Rob