1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

RPTV Screen coming unglued?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by EmaxJS, May 4, 2005.

1. EmaxJS

EmaxJS Extra

I have a Samsung HCL4715WX 47" RPTV and today I noticed what looked to be a water stain in the lower right hand corner. Upon sliding the screen out it would appear that there are three layers to the screen. The protective outside, then a tinted (I assume anti-glare), then lastly the lens. My guess is with all the moving and lifting the screen must have flexed and the three layers started seperating.

I haven't called Samsung yet, but their parts website is confusing and indicates that there are at least three different screens I could purchase, the "Screen-Fresnel" (which is probably the lens)$159.55, the "Sun Screen-AG" (which is probably the anti-glare tinted layer) 138.41, and the "Screen Lenti" (the scratch protector?) 108.75.

Right now all three layers are held together by what looks to be scotch tape around the outer edges, and since you can by them seperately what would the risk be if I untaped them seperated them from each other and reinserted them. I would think that this would solve my problem and have no real risk since clearly I would have to by all three layers seperately anyway.

Any ideas?

While I was in there I noticed the mirror and lights were pretty dirty so I cleaned them and now I have a much better picture!

2. John S

John S Producer

People remove them all the time, to remove the outter most protective screen. So I'd say your pretty safe to try it.

I'll bet mine could use a good cleaning too by the way.