RPTV recommendations

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David R Nguyen, Dec 4, 2002.

1. David R Nguyen

I am looking to buy a new RPTV within the next few weeks. I'd like to get opinions on the biggest and best tv I can get for $2000 or less. Two that I am considering are the Toshiba 42HDX82 and the Mitsubishi WS42311.

What do people think about these two choices? What other models would you consider and why?

Thanks for any responses,

Dave

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Hi David

Id consider the Panny 53" set. It looks awesome once set up but many times pretty bad out of the box. Ive heard it can be had for as little as $1500.

Best of luck.

Gregg

3. David R Nguyen

Thanks Greg,

When you say 'Panny,' is that a Panasonic? Which model is that? Also, the space that the TV will go in is quite limited: 65" in width, in between a closet door and the room entrance door. I have the Bose Acoustimass 15 speakers and then a Marantz SR7200 A/V receiver and Marantz DV6200 DVD player, and an XBox. I'm afraid if I get too large of a screen, I don't know where I'll put my components. Does this Panny set you mentioned come on a stand?

Thanks,

Dave

4. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

The Panasonic 53WX42 53" HDTV is a real nice set. Very reasonably priced.
    Worth checking out as it does come on its own stand.

I believe CC and BestBuy carry them.

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Yes, and if you hurry, Best Buy is throwing in a leather recliner and free in-home delivery right now. Also, if you plan to get the extended warranty, you should be able to use that as a bargaining chip.

FYI, I just got my Panny 53" delivered yesterday. Very nice indeed although I'm not quite that happy w/ the internal linedoubler--at least that's what I think is causing the ghosting effect I see w/ black lines and outlines of credits on medium-to-light, solid color backgrounds.

Anybody else see this problem w/ their 480i DVD input?

_Man_