RPTV Reccomendations

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Bennett, May 12, 2002.

1. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Hi,

My older brother is moving into a house and there is an extra room that he wants to dedicate as the movie/game room. As a result, he's looking to buy a RPTV for the room. I've gone through the whole 16x9 vs 4x3 thing with him and we both agree that 4x3 will be better for his uses(and he doesn't mind letterboxing so it's not a big deal). Anyhow, he's on a bit of a budget but I really would like him to get a nice set. Anyone know of a nice and relatively inexpensive 4x3 RPTV in the neighborhood of 40-55"? It doesn't need to be the best set on the block but I'd like it to be decent and have high def capability(which I'm sure most if not all RPTV do now a days). Anyhow thanks for any reccomendations.

2. Chris Perkins

Chris Perkins Stunt Coordinator

If I was you I would reconsider the widescreen vs. regular idea. I watch a lot of regular TV(ESPN,HBO,NBC etc.) and I would not ever go back to 4:3 TV. I have a Panny 47" widescreen tweaked and ISF'd to perfection and in "JUST" mode, which stretches the image to fit the screen with minimal distortion, it is a thing of beauty. And when playing widescreen DVD's this RPTV really shines. You can get one in a real sweet price range of about $1500. I don't know, but there is something about watching widescreen TV that keeps you home instead of fighting the crowds at the movies!

Chris

3. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

If he's on a budget, here are a few that he might be interested in:
    UECWeb
    I've personally never purchased from them, but I've heard of a few people who have and have had a positive experience.
    If you have a budget in mind, maybe we can give you better suggestions?

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Wow. Those TVs are cheap...what's the catch? Do they suck?

5. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Read up:
    http://www.uecweb.com/about/index.htm
    Apparently, Hitachi does do a reasonably good job refurbishing their products. However, experiences may vary, and I do have to stress that I personally have not purchased with them before.

6. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Regarding the whole 16x9 vs 4x3 thing, We talked about his viewing habits combined with the sets use as a video game TV, we determined that 4x3 will be more appropriate. He wasn't a big fan of having to stretch the picture or have it windowboxed and given the option of that or having a letterboxed image for movies, he'd prefer the letterboxing. If it were me, I'd probably go 16x9 but it's his choice. In any case, I gather he'd like to spend about $1400 tops. I've been looking around but I'm not even sure where to start. I think I'll go to some local stores with him and play around with a few 16x9 sets to see if I can change his mind on the issue but if not I'll definitely look for a 4x3 that has a 16x9 compression mode. My 27" Samsung Dynaflat set has this and I don't know how I got by without it.