RPTV Questions - New To This

Discussion in 'Displays' started by ZackR, Jun 16, 2003.

1. ZackR

ZackR Supporting Actor

Hi,

I am relatively new to the whole home theater thing. I want to get a new display for our living room. The couch is about 14-16 feet from where the screen will be. I have been looking at some rear projection sets at BestBuy. We were looking in the 51-57" range. Any good recommendations? I was looking at spending no more than $3,000. There are some windows in the room. We can somewhat control the light level, but not perfectly. At night though, it is PITCH black in there. I would greatly appreciate any information. This set will be almost exclusively used for DVD's. I want to get the absolute best picture quality possible for my money.

Thanks so much in advance,

Zack

2. peter_bjr

peter_bjr Auditioning

I am in the same situation. Playroom. Surround system already installed (Integra 5.3 dts, paradigm titans, atoms and 10" sub, toshiba progressive scan DVD) Need a RPTV 50-57 " and am looking at Sony 57" (for price), Pioneer Elite 53" (for flexibility) and Mitzi 51"? Diamond (as top end).

Have explored FP with InFocus X1 (thanks to this forum) but won't work in this room due to sloped ceilings and wide-eyed wife (you don't want to know).

Which of the three would you suggest? Or something completely different?

Thanks in advance.
    Nashville, TN.[​IMG]

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

With a little light control you can easily get away with a crt based rptv.

At a 14 foot viewing distance you could actually get away with a 65 inch set, and I would not go any smaller than 57.

I sit 12 feet back from a 57 inch Sony and it's just about right. If all my viewing were dvd and HD, I could easily use a 65 inch set, but regular cable wouldn't look to good at that size.

Since the recent price drops, I think the 57 inch Sonys (WS500 series) represent a very good value for money. My set is the predecessor KP57HW40 and I love it. They have good line doublers, good stretch modes, and actually can be made to look quite good with just an AVIA setup calibration in the user controls. They seem to be quite consistent as far as looking good out of the box.

If you venture into the service menu you can correct the color decoder to eliminate red push (usually only 15% or so out of the box anyway) and you can adjust or turn off the VSM, and it's pretty easy to do. Although all rptvs change a bit during the first 100 hours or so, of the 4 I've had the Sony changed the least and has been the most consistent. The set has never required a manual convergence.

Sony had a problem with flicker developing on these, but has since found a cure and applied it to production models since about February or so. My set was an early production HW40 model built in August of 01, prior to the emergence of the flicker (different serial number prefix). Mine's been in heavy daily use now for 18 months and has never given me any problem--just keeps getting better.

4. peter_bjr

peter_bjr Auditioning

Since I wrote the post, I have been turned on to the Sony Grand Wega II. The 50" seems to fit the bill for me. I have been to avsforum and read the lengthy posts about tweaking this machine (UMR) and I must admit that it looks fun in a sadistic kinda way.

But, should I wait for the GW III. Its supposed to come out in September at a lower price point. If I was planning on spending 3k for a pioneer elite, should I just spend the money on the sony GW? Or now that I am at the 3k stage should I just go with the sammy DLP?

Decisions, decisions...

Thanks

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I used the Viewing Distance Calcluator to create this table. Given the screen size (diagonal inches), The THX recommend seating distance and max distance (in feet) are given. The last column is the max distance (in feet) using the Visual Acuity theory.

TV Size (Diag inches)16:9 THX Rec16:9 THX Max16:9 Max for 1080i 404.56.35.2 455.07.15.9 505.67.96.5 556.18.77.2 606.79.47.8 657.310.28.5 TV Size (Diag inches)4:3 THX Rec4:3 THX Max4:3 Max for 1080i 404.15.84.8 454.66.55.4 505.17.26.0 555.67.96.6 606.28.77.2 656.79.47.8

If there is interest for new buyers, I'll flip it around and give seating distances first, then recommended screen sizes.

6. ZackR

ZackR Supporting Actor

Thanks so much for the various sucggestions.

I am going to do some shopping around for some possibilities.

I will post what I find and hopefully I can get some feedback from some of you all here.

Thanks Again!

Zack