What's new

RPTV pre-purchase woes.... (1 Viewer)

Doug Kennedy

Auditioning
I'm looking into purchasing a Toshiba 50H82. I've been so amazed by the HD picture that I've completely forgot about burn-in. My wife usually leaves CourtTV (which has a ticker) on all day while I'm at work. Even if there are commercials frequently would a ticker still burn-in?

Secondly, my son likes to play video games but not marathon sessions. He plays in 1 to 1 1/2 hour spurts. Will that cause burn-in as well?

These are my only concerns and the ones that are stopping me from getting an RPTV. DLP is too expensive and not available in my area. It is either RPTV or direct view. Also, will VCD/SVCD look like complete crap on a 50"? Would it be better to go down to a 42". I frequently watch SVCD's so the size/quality comprimise is very difficult.

Any advice?

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
I would not go down to a 42". Unless you are going to be putting it in a very small room or have a very limited budget. In a short time you will want bigger.

I would stick with the 50". If your budget permits you might even try a 55" or 57". Its kind of hard to explain but it seems 16x9 sets run smaller. They seem wider but not as tall as a regular 4x3 set.

One of the first things you should do when you get your new RPTV is turn the brightness and especially the contrast way down. This will help avoid burn in. When I watch stations with those logo's I usually change the channel or switch to a blank video port every 30 minutes or so for a few seconds at a time. I have never had a problem with burn in and I watch a alot of widescreen movies.

I also think the brand of the set has alot to do with burn in. They can all get burn if you keep the same image on the screen for long periods but the cheaper brands are alot worse. Toshiba, Sony, Hitachi and Mitsubishi all should be pretty good. No big screen is warranteed though so proceed with caution.

Chris

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Is that a widescreen set?
I think something like CourtTV would like fine zoomed, so the ticker would just end up cropped off anyway, so long as your wife could accept that.
What's your viewing distance? Bigger is always better...
SVCD should look OK on a set that size. VCDs look pretty bad... but they would on a 42" set too. Frankly, I thought they looked pretty bad on my 27" as well. That said, I still watch plain old VCDs of Ducktales and Southpark on my 40" set... it doesn't look very good, but it's not unwatchable. Content is king, afterall! :)
There are reasonaly priced LCD and DLP front projection sets, though you would have to buy them online. If you're referring to RP sets... no, there is nothing (new) that is relatively priced.

Michael_V

Second Unit
For the most part, burn-in is a non-issue on a well-calibrated, sensibly used RPTV . . . though many would argue that leaving your precious phosphors burning all day long in menial labor is not a sensible use of your high-end investment! Perhaps a $200 directview in a corner somewhere would do for Court TV? Eliminate this one abuse, and you can rest easy in your new purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks