RPTV Owners!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bernard Drapeau, May 23, 2001.

1. Bernard Drapeau

What kind of TV set do you own, and how far back do you sit from it??
    Thanks,

2. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

Well, I own a Sony VPH-1271Q projector (without a tuner it can't really be called a tv), and I sit 16' away from a 76" wide screen (96" diag.). That puts me at about 2.5 screen widths away. That's far, but I can't really change it beause the projector is floor mounted and I must sit behind it.
    ------------------
    "Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde

3. TimG

TimG Second Unit

I use an Electrohome 4101 projector. I sit about 11 feet away from a 72" wide screen.
    Tim

4. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

NEC 6PG Plus CRT projector. 11'6" or 15' back from a 92" wide screen depending on which row I sit in.

5. Bernard Drapeau

AAAAARRRRGGHH!
    I'm Sorry!
    I've made mistake in subject!!!! [​IMG]
    RPTV Owner fit more with TV set isn't it???

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  7. Anthony Cler

Anthony Cler Stunt Coordinator

Sony 400Q LCD
    92" Diagonal(16:9)
    Front row 12ft
    Back row 15ft

8. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Bernard:
    I changed the title of this thread to RPTV for you since this is the information that you are looking for.
    As a general rule, for front screen projection, I have always been told to set back about twice the screen width or 3 times the height. So if you have a 10 foot diagonal screen, 6ft. height by 8ft. width, you would want to set back between 16 to 18 feet.
    I am not sure if this applies to rear projection though.
    Parker

9. Craig

Craig Second Unit

I sit 11.5 feet from my 56" widescreen. A 65" screen would be fine at that distance also.

10. Kishu

Kishu Stunt Coordinator

When I was reading the thread, for a second I thought I was nuts! I guess in this HT hobby, we all are [​IMG]
    I sit 7 ft from my 56H80, I'm sure if I had 65" I would be 9-10ft away. I know my friend who's distance is 9ft from 56". Its a personal preference.From the various readings and searches, I came to one conclusion: you need to set YOUR viewing distance you are comfortable with [​IMG]
    Usually distances vary 56"- 7-10ft, 65"- 8-12 ft.
    Hope this helps [​IMG]
    Cheers,
    Kishore

11. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Toshiba TW65X81 65" 16:9 RPTV. Rough estimate from my eyes to the screen = ~10feet. The screen is not overwhelming at all - I could probably go up to a 75-80" before it would be "too big".
    Of course, there really is no such thing as a TV that is too big. I could reorient my couch and sit ~19' from a 10' screen if I had a projector.
    ------------------
    -Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )

12. Steven_C

Steven_C Extra

I have a formula that I use when asked what the correct viewing distance is for a certain screen size. This is for a 16/9 screen with progressive scan. Take the screen height and multiply it by 3.3. Then take the screen height and multiply it by 4.0. The 3.3 figure gives you a 30 degree viewing angle, and the 4.0 gives you a 25 degree viewing angle. Let's use the PRO-510HD as an example. It has a 26" screen height. The 30 degree viewing distance is just over 7 feet and the 25 degree viewing distance is just under 9 feet. So I would say the proper viewing distance from this set is 7 to 9 feet. Now comes my personal adjustment to this formula that most of you are familiar with. If you went to a movie theater and you could choose anywhere to sit, where would that be? If you said the center I would suggest around 8 feet as the correct viewing distance for 510HD. If you said the front row I would say 7 feet, maybe less. If you said the rear of the theater I would say 9 feet, maybe more. There is no perfect formula, but this one makes sense to me.