RPTV Owners- Some Answers Please... In A Quandary

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Edward, Mar 20, 2002.

1. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I have bought, but not had delivered yet, a Tosh 50HX81. After looking over my 12x12 room, it does not seem that I will have ANYWHERE to place my equipment (receiver, DVD).

If I go to the 57" model, I would have the room on top of the TV itself for the center channel, receiver, DVD.

1. Is it acceptable to have equipment like this on top of the TV? The receiver weighs about 27 lbs., not sure of center weight, and DVD is negligible.

2. If I get a larger screen, is the off-axis viewing more difficult? Two of my chairs do not face the set head on. In other words, is a smaller set easier to see off-axis?

3. I read how most RPTV's do not do so well with NTSC sources. Does a satellite dish improve things significantly over cable? I know it is still an NTSC source, so does anyone have experience with one to the other?

One last thing- If I'm 8-9 feet away, is 57" too big?

THANK YOU ALL

2. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

I have a 43in rptv with a center speaker and digital cable box on top. Not sure about YOUR weight though.

I have cable and it looks great. Of course the HD people would say it looks horrible but I'm VERY happy and the picture is MUCH better then a dish split to 40 other sets.

I noticed( and others did to) that the pic looks much better after 3 or 4 hours of play. There must be a warm up period.

off-axis viewing is more difficult but it depends on your set. mine has a 130 degree radius, some are 160.

As for the equipment problem. YUP - my problem also. The Sony "optional" stand (HA HA!!!) is a joke and only fits two components.

3. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

James,

I had all my equipment on top of my 56 inch tosh for 2 years, before I moved and had the room for and entertainment wall..This included a dvd player, denon reciever, Dish 6000 receiver and vcr along with the center speaker..There were never any problems....

4. Craig A

Craig A Stunt Coordinator