RPTV or Projector? (1st timepost)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BarryA, Oct 20, 2002.

1. BarryA

BarryA Auditioning

Any advice is appreciated! Building new home, and lucked out with getting room over garage for home theater.
    Have a generous budget for rptv or projector (about 10K), but don't know which would be best for picture now and future.
    Room is 15 X 24 rectangle, equipment in separate closet, no windows, acoustics (sound proofing, resonance, etc) will be optimized (within reasonable cost). We'll watch mostly DVD's(will have progressive scan DVD player) and HD movies broadcast from satellite, some regular TV cartoons by 6 year old. Don't mind possible side bars on screen if watching regular size TV show.
    My preferred viewing angle about 21 degrees.
    Seating will be about 12-16 feet from monitor/screen (ultimately will have 2 rows of seats- probably 12-14 feet, and 16-18 feet from monitor screen)
    I'm a point-and-shoot guy. Any tweaking will probably have to be done by installer (local AV store known for service)
    Would large RPTV (new mits 70", pioneer elite 65", etc) be best , or projector/screen (?D-ILA, DLP, LCD...)
    If projector screen, what size screen (? 4 1/2-5 feet horizontally, orlarger??)
    My understanding is RPTV gives better, clearer picture with better color representation, but projector allows larger screen and easier future technology upgrades.
    Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated-- much of this is confusing for a newcomer.
    thanks much![​IMG]

2. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

if it were me i'd get a front projector and a screen with mattes so you can alter it for different AR presentations, and a nice HTPC setup for scaling..

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  4. Bob McKenny

Bob McKenny Agent

Barry,

A good place to read about projectors is avsforum.com. For your type of setup a front projector is the way to go if you want a real movie theater experience in your home. RPTV just aren't big enough to give the visual experience IMHO. I personally have a theater in my 13ft x 18ft room upstairs with a Sony VPL-VW10HT LCD projector and a 110" (8ft x 4.5ft) Stewart Grayhawk screen. I love it! I am using a Sony DVD-9000ES progressive scan DVD player and get HDTV via Time Warner Cable. The picture is breathtaking. I set back about 14ft from the screen.

Sony has since replaced my projector model with the 11HT and even more recently the 12HT. Each of these models have improved the contrast ratio to where it is supposed to be around 1000:1 on the 12HT. Sanyo has also come out with a new LCD projector that is getting alot of discussion on AVS Forum (PLV-70). It has more features and better brightness than the Sony. I personally prefer Sony products however. These projectors can be purchased for somewhere around $3000 to $6000 depending on the model and the vendor. A screen will add another $500-$1500 depending on the brand/model. Another note is that I would strongly recommend a projector that has a native 16:9 chip vs. a 3:4 so that you get the maximum resolution when watching DVD's and HDTV (all the projectors I list here are 16:9).

An alternative projector technology which many prefer is DLP (digital light processing). A good DLP projector, say the Sharp Z9000, will probably run you around $8000. I encourage to scour dealers in your area to look at all before making a purchase decision. However, be aware that many stores do not know how to calibrate a projector or display properly which can mislead you in your decision process. I would therefore also recommend you get a copy of AVIA's guide to Home Theater DVD and figure out how to calibrate displays using it. This way you can take the DVD to the various showrooms and calibrate the color, black, and white levels to be correct so you can do a fair comparison. Also, you should take a stack of your favorite DVD's. Pay particular note to how dark scenes look as many of these projectors have troubles with blacks.

Good luck!

Bob

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Bob, I admire your list of projectors. [​IMG]
    You left out the Boxlite Home Cinema 20HD which is in fact the Sanyo PLV-70 in disguise. Actually, both projectors are one and the same, just the outer case is different. The projector is very bright at 2200 a.l. with a contrast ratio of 900:1. Couple that with a Stewart Firehawk screen and you are in some serious business let me tell you.