RPTV or front projection

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WilliamC, Aug 28, 2002.

1. WilliamC

WilliamC Stunt Coordinator

Ok. I'm buying an HDTV and my budget is 5000-5500. Originally I was going with a pioneer elite 53" but have since been drawn to front projection since from what i have heard will provide me with a better picture. the system i am alooking at are the
    Optoma EzPro 755
    and possibly the Sharp XVZ9000U

How good are these units? what are the benefits/ I heard somethings about a rainbow effect with DLP's whats that.
    What problems are there with DLP.
    Recommendations are greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,
    William

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    You will definitely want to audition these units first in real world conditions by watching an entire movie if possible. I have seen the Sharp 9000 and I did not notice any rainbow effect. I think the wheel is fast enough that it is not noticeable but others can chime in on this. All I know is that it is a very good projector.

Personally, for movie watching, nothing beats front projection because nothing duplicates the cinema setting like it. It is just like being there. Another projector I would consider is the Sony VPL-VW12HT which has native 1366x768 LCD panels.

3. WilliamC

I should also add that it will be mostly used for TV and DVD movies. mostly TV.

4. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

One thing that you need to understand is that while a projector is the best way to view a widescreen DVD at home, it should really not be used for everyday TV viewing.

The problem is the projector bulb. It needs to be replaced typically every 2000 hours or so; and the replacement costs for the projector lamps range from $260-$470.

If you use your projector just for DVD viewing, you can easily get two years or more of use out of a 2000 hour bulb; otherwise, you might find yourself having to replace the bulb every year!

5. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

I have a mits 65"hdtv and thought it would be nice to move to a front projector, I viewed the sharp,Yamaha and seleco and they do give a more film like picture and much larger but I thought my mits along with my rp91dvd player gave a much sharper picture and for about $6500 less than the ones I mentioned above[​IMG] I think I will enjoy my big screen for couple more years and wait for the technology to go up and the prices to come down[​IMG] Besides almost $500 a bulb can get a little annoying[​IMG]
    Happy hunting, Bob

6. WilliamC

Looks like i'll be going with the Pioneer Elite then and an SVS sub. Any recommendation. my room is 14'wide X 16' long. Thanks for the info guys.

7. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

If your talking recommendations on screen size I would go with the 64" you get used to it fast especially with hd and dvd viewing as fas as a sub goes I have an svs 20-39+ and love it! I think adding a second sub may be in the future[​IMG]
    btw my room size is 26'x14'
    Bob