RPTV or Front Projection ??

Discussion in 'Displays' started by John Steunenberg, Jul 30, 2003.

1. John Steunenberg

John Steunenberg Auditioning

I have owned my Toshiba TW65H80 RPTV for about 4 years now. I wish to upgrade. Is front projection the way to go with a $10,000 budget. What about plasmas or LCD's.
    Will the front projection really be a lot better or will it be nominal. Hate to spend that kind of money with little difference. Has anyone on this site done what I wish to do and regretted it. Please offer some advice.
    Priced a 60" Plasma for $17000. That's a little rich for me. Of course I'm talking HDTV.

2. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

John, with that budget, you can certainly do front projection. I would say that the difference will be much greater than nominal.

I'm running a CRT front projector at 84" wide (100" 16:9 diagonal) and there is a real difference between that and an RPTV or a plasma.

I'm sure several people will chime in with advice on whether to go LCD, DLP, DILA, or CRT. There are good and bad things about each one.

Do you have total light control in the room and do you have an idea of what size screen you'd like?

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    $17000 is steep, even for plasma. For $10K you could get a killer front projection system that would not only give you the theatrical experience but would have phenominal picture quality. Some things to consider are your room's ambient light level, the kind of material you will be watching etc that will determine what type of projector you should consider, what type of setup to get (4x3 vs 16x9). Keep in mind to that if you are planning to watch TV on it, you will have to factor that into your bulb replacement budget if you decide to go with a digital projector.

Read this for more info.... Front Projection - How do I select one for my needs?

4. Michael FF

Michael FF Stunt Coordinator

The Sharpvision 10000 can't be beaten in the under $10,000 category.